Superchips Cortex - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Superchips Cortex

I have a Cortex programmer for my super duty 5.4 right now. Should I sell the cortex with the truck and buy a new programmer for my new 6.0 or keep the cortex and use it on my 6.0? If I should buy a new programmer for the diesel which one should I go with? My truck will be used mostly for heavy towing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sell the programmer and get a sct tuner... i think i told you this in your other post but people sell used sct tuners on here all the time. get one of those and get a custom tune from one of the big three tune writers... eric at innovative, matt at gearhead, vivian at quicktricks.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM

also i have heard good things about truck source diesel.. but thats all upto you
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Okay, I don't mean to sound dumb but I don't know much about programmers that you custom tune. Do they email you the tune so you upload it yourself or do you send your tuner out to get programmed? If I buy a used one (most likely I will) obviously it should be unlocked but how do I know if the custom tunes will work for my truck? I have read things about having to send your truck to a dealer and having it reflashed or something.....
Old 11-03-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchertk View Post
Okay, I don't mean to sound dumb but I don't know much about programmers that you custom tune. Do they email you the tune so you upload it yourself or do you send your tuner out to get programmed? If I buy a used one (most likely I will) obviously it should be unlocked but how do I know if the custom tunes will work for my truck? I have read things about having to send your truck to a dealer and having it reflashed or something.....
no man, there is no such thing as a dumb question.. im not gonna lie these sct tuners can be tricky. but yes they will email you the tunes when you pay for them. when you get the tuner you give them your strategy and they will write the tuner for you. if you buy one used DO NOT use the custom tunes that are on it if its the wrong strategy for your truck it can lock it out and you have to get it towed to the dealer for a reflash.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Before you even think about a programmer, you should first get a monitor solution, you need to check the health of your motor and look for any issues. Once the issues are fixed, then go tune. Since you'll be towing heavy, gauges are a MUST!! The factory gauges are worthless!
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

Here is some info on buying a used SCT.
What to look for when buying used SCT for 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.