Hate to start ANOTHER thread on this... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 05:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hate to start ANOTHER thread on this...

But I've been doing a LOT of reading and searching on this subject. I'm getting a SCT SF3 with the head studs and all of hte other work being done on the truck right now. I believe my dealership goes through River City Diesel... I am mainly looking for mileage increase...but I tow under 10K often enough that I don't want to be switching tunes back and forth. I am looking for good driveability (Something that won't kill my girlfriend also when she drives) and mileage. What's my best bet? There's so many options out there, I don't know where to start. Anybody ever used River City Diesel custom tunes? I need a little advice here, if y'all don't mind. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 05:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
To get the best mileage you're gonna want to run a high power tune. Thats what most people experience. As for drivability I hear Matts SRL is the smoothest throughout the power band. Its what I run and love it, but cant compare it to any others, as for a tow tune most guys have a tow tune as well, Matt has a 8k/10k tune. Its recommended 8k for non studded guys and 10k for studded and I think its about 65 hp. There is something to start you off with and I'm sure someone else can add more.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:47 AM
Premium Member

I have to second the recommendation for Matt@ Gearhead. Driven trucks with custom tunes, but Matt's seem to be the best!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys!! I really appreciate it! I didn't know if it was possible to tow in the SRL tune or not... I just never know when I'll hafta run home and grab a trailer and go do something and I don't want to be switching tunes all of the time. I don't tow heavy loads all of the time, but occasionally I latch onto something memorable, lol.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 PM

As long as your smart and watch your gauges you should be fine. I wouldnt tow heavy on a regular basis with it but doing so once and a while and being smart about it wont hurt you.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:17 PM

Like he said, I wouldn't make it a habit towing with the srl, but as long as your not doing any hard accelerations, 0-50's next to a ricer, and you watch your egt's, I would say your fine...

Although everytruck is different, if after the first time you do it. You find you cannot keep your egt's at a safe level, I would say you should t do it at all.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:12 AM

I'll definitely need to get a probe for the EGTs before I'll feel safe. Someone told me that the Back Pressure sensor could be used to calculate EGTs? Anybody know anything about that? Thanks y'all!!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Mav View Post
I'll definitely need to get a probe for the EGTs before I'll feel safe. Someone told me that the Back Pressure sensor could be used to calculate EGTs? Anybody know anything about that? Thanks y'all!!
Wouldnt rely on a sensor(EBP) sensor to guess at EGT's. You need to have a data monitor on that truck even without tunes. I would recommend the Edge Insight CTS for data. Its freikin awesome! You can hook EGT, backup camera, and all sorts of other sensors. Best data monitor on the market IMO.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 PM

Yeah, I'm really wanting to get the CTS asap... That thing has a lot of neat features. I'm gonna try to pick one up in the next few days....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.