Am I really missing out on Custom Tune? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Am I really missing out on Custom Tune?

I am running canned tunes on an Edge Evolution. Seriously considering getting Bill at PHP to custom tune it. Will there be a dramatic difference between my canned 80 HP tune and Bills custom 80HP Daily Driver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would say that I can feel a difference in power between my so called 100Hp tune on the PPE and whatever the power level is on TSD's Super Panty Dropper and the power addition is VERY smooth with firm shifts. The main reason that I am glad I went with a custom tune isnt necessarily for the power increase but for the piece of mind of knowing that it was written for the strategy on my truck and that it will tune the transmission to handle the power increase for longevity.

So if you are debating getting a custom tune. Don't and just get one. PHP is probably fine. I have heard of guys using them and like them. While they wouldnt be my first choice, I havent heard any real bad from them unlike mkm and RCD.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
I would say that I can feel a difference in power between my so called 100Hp tune on the PPE and whatever the power level is on TSD's Super Panty Dropper and the power addition is VERY smooth with firm shifts. The main reason that I am glad I went with a custom tune isnt necessarily for the power increase but for the piece of mind of knowing that it was written for the strategy on my truck and that it will tune the transmission to handle the power increase for longevity.

So if you are debating getting a custom tune. Don't and just get one. PHP is probably fine. I have heard of guys using them and like them. While they wouldnt be my first choice, I havent heard any real bad from them unlike mkm and RCD.

Hope this helps.

You hear about guys just running and exhaust and a custom tune spanking sports cars. Dont get me wrong, I dont want a drag car, but if I can free up that much power with a custom tune, then I will. I still have a little teenager left in me and would be glad to dragrace some young punk and embarass him in front of his girlfriend if the opportunity presented itself.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:51 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Well let's say your "80hp" tune actually does get you 80hp above stock; with a custom "race/street" tune (depends on schemantics) you can expect at the very least a true 120HP addition some of them are as high as 140-160Hp. That is upwards of double the max power that your canned tune can put out plus it wont destroy your transmission or your motor (through generic timing increases). IMO with that much of a difference, I would spend the $50-$80 for a tune and see for your self if it is worth it. Now I know you probably dont have an SCT tuner so you will have to buy that but lets face it. You know you are going to wonder until you do give them a try. Just my $.02. Hope it helps.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:58 PM

If I were you I would just have Bill at PHP tune it. Dave on here really likes his ECM tuning from Bill. I dont think you could go wrong with php. You could even get Bill to tune that Evolution for your ECM and I think he can even tune it to tune your FICM too. But if you want to get rid of the Evo and get an SCT I can take the evo off your hands for you because then I can send it to bill to tune my ficm for me. I think it is like 225 bucks or so for ECM and Ficm tuning. I may be wrong on some of this info though
Old 11-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
PHP is really your only choice with the Evolution unless you ditch that and go with SCT.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
Bills 6.0 truck runs 8.47 in the 1/8 and is Bone stock down to the stock cat besides a set of slicks... I would say he knows a thing or 2 about tuning a 6.0 and making it run lol
Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 PM

i had bills 65hp tune and a ficm tune from him... i like bill he was great to work with but i just got a sct tuner and for now until i get a custom tune im running the canned tunes and its night and day in power difference. i say sell the edge and buy a sct tuner cause once you get the 80hp tune you will want to know what the 120hp is like that the sct guys are putting down. just my opinion....
Old 11-02-2011, 07:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lowdown89 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowdown89
He can have custom tunes put on the edge so he an have a 80 and 120 tune
Old 11-02-2011, 07:58 PM

yup that to... like i said bill knows what he is doing and you can do that also. but with that being said when i was getting my truck tuned he said he wouldnt go over 65 with stock bolts. he said after that number there is a big jump in risk of hg going.. but there is a risk at stock so i say go for the 120
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.