To reflash or not to reflash, that is the question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 10:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To reflash or not to reflash, that is the question

Bought a used truck. Apparently it had a tuner on it but I didn't know this. Tuner was taken off prior to my purchase of the truck.

I bought a tuner. I went to load a canned tune and got the error message about a non-stock condition. I followed the instructions about updating the unit (Edge Evolution/PHP Gryphon) and plugged it back in. No difference.

Shot an email to Edge tech services, the reply:

"There are a couple ways to handle this type of situation. If you go to a dealer and get the truck reflashed, you should be able to install the kit without issues. You could also use the device and our Fusion software online to force the truck back to stock. The tough part about that 2nd option is that if the product that programmed your vehicle previously modifies more than we do, you could disable your vehicle. The safest option is to get it reflashed but it is up to you."

My question to the group at large is what are the pro's and cons with respect to doing this. Whatever strategy currently on the truck seems reasonable (I don't know what it actually is though) but I haven't heard any flattering reviews on some of the later ones.

I want get the tuner on the truck without taking a step back in baseline performance. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 04:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Call/email PHP and get it flashed back to a good version so you have a good base file.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:03 AM

I will be... Posted on their forum but the shop isn't open over the weekend either.

Chris
Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

what is a good version i just made a appt for mine to get reflashed
Old 11-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

guess i shoulda said i made it at a ford dealer and can they flash it to any version??
Old 11-15-2011, 12:16 PM

they can but they wont. I highly suggest you look into PHP tuning as they can flash your ecm and ficm with older better strategies. The new ford strategies kill performance and mileage.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

On another forum someone got the new flash and then tried to tune it with a SCT and it killed it. Seems Ford has lowered the "shut it down" codes and the older tunes make it quit.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Billeg thats not entirely true. I ran the old tunes with the new flash for over a year.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I always update the PCM programming to the latest released flash before I install tuners. Normally their the SCT SF3 tuners. I know a lot of people say some of the older programming is better but I've never ran into issues. I've got plenty of customers getting 18 MPG out there.

If you go to Ford they are just going to program it to the latest flash. I do reprogramming thru Fords website and there is no option or way to "backdate" the programming. If you do have it reflashed you will probably have to get them to reprogram it as a blank module.

On another note, I would send that Edge back and get an SCT tuner with either canned or custom tunes......
Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 PM

I think the issue is someone has not returned the truck to stock. The best and safest way to fix this issue, and in my opinion is to take it to Ford spend the 150 and have it flashed back to stock. They will flash the new strategies but you will be 100% sure the truck is ok. Then get with PHP and have the units rolled back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.