Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

A different head bolt question

3K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Newman 
#1 ·
In gas race cars I know sometimes the bolt holes are enlarged and rethreaded in the block to accept a wider diameter head bolt. For more clamping power and strength.

Since 6.4 is based off 6.0 design and they went from an M14 to a M16 head bolt...is there any reason why the 6.0 can't go up in bolt size? Like using a larger ARP head stud.

Thanks

#2 ·
Even if you could, it would be cheaper to just go with the ARP's or H11's if you were really worried. Keep in mind that an unhealthy oil cooler will still cause issues even with headstuds :nod:

#4 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong...
I think the real issue is that the engine was designed with to few head bolts, only 10 per side.

But going back to the OP question, with the 16mm head bolts (or studs) do the 6.4 guys have as much of a problem with leaking head gaskets as the 6.0's do?

#5 ·
Any HG will leak if there is water/coolant in the cylinders. The 6.4 EGR coolers pop too, so I'd say yes, the issue is there, just not as prevelent in the 6.4 as the 6.0

You just can't compress water, so having 20mm studs won't keep them attached any better if the coolers introduce coolant to the cylinders. The head bolts aren't the fatal flaw in the 6.0, it's the oil coolers

#6 ·
Couldnt agree more. But I have seen these trucks STOCK, but with blown head gaskets, so it can happen. Its very rare, but Ive seen more than one. And yes the 6.4L have head gasket issues along with a whole bunch other. So eliminating the root problem is really the key to longevity!

#7 ·
But in those 'stock' trucks, it was the oil cooler that was the root of that evil, right? A truck doesn't have to be tuned to pop HG's, just needs to use the Ford gold coolant and have a plugged oil cooler to pop the EGR cooler, then HG's

#9 ·
Yep preventing egr cooler and oil cooler failure can and will prevent future related failures. In the very few instances I have seen, stock trucks with head issues the oil coolers were good not great(10-15* spread). But i couldnt prove that the oil cooler caused the head problems. The EGR cooler at the time of testing did test ok.

#11 ·
The oil cooler is the root of all evil on the 6.0L. :beer: Seems as though most pattern failures we see in these trucks can be related back to the oil cooler or maybe even the oil filter system on the truck stock.

#12 ·
how do you know when the cooler is going bad, whats oil temp suppose to be? iv seen a 12 degree difference betwenn my coolant and oil temp when running it fast. when im normally driving its maybe seven degree differnce and stay consistent at that

#13 ·
Ah I think the magic number is around 15*. That being said after installing a new ford oil cooler even driving hard the oil cooler should keep the oil temp VERY colse to the coolant temp. So when I see one that is 5-10 degrees difference just cruising that is a sign of an oil cooler that is loosing efficiency.

#15 ·
The oil cooler is upstream of the EGR cooler. It's the coolant flow, and subsequent superheated steam that ruptures the EGR cooler

#16 ·
The studs themselves are already harder than the block material, the stud isn't the weak point here.
With the bolts or studs wider in size, wouldn't the threads hold on the block be stronger with the larger thread/hole size? With a larger size the threads will have more surface area to disperse the force.

#17 ·
I think that even with a bigger stronger bolt, more to hold onto will still fail and pop the head gasket... And if it doesn't think about The catastrophic damages that could be caused by the heads holding and coolant being forced elsewhere ??

#19 ·
An M16 head bolt or stud is capable of more clamping force than a M14. It may be useful to do this for a racing or pulling motor but it is not needed in a street motor. An egr delete is a much better solution and if you can't do that then a Bulletproof external oil cooler will solve the problem of limiting coolant flow to the egr cooler allowing it to rupture. A BPD EGR cooler would be a good idea while you're at it too. Getting rid og the G-05 coolant is also recommended.

#24 ·
I haven't been in the diesel scene very long, but I've yet to see failed arp's due to that?

And I would hate to see that kind of psi being shoved downwards into your internals.... Your looking at connecting rods either bending, or forcing themselves out.... Either way.. The damages are worse than a head job

#25 ·
Well I have seen a bent connecting rob due to coolant in the cylinder, just not on a 6.0L diesel. It was on a Windstar van with a 3.0L. It was a tricky misfire diag, let me tell ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.