SF3 Tune ?'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 06:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SF3 Tune ?'s

Soo i have an oppurtunity to buy a used SF3 cheap!! that supposedly has 3 can tunes and some custom tunes it is locked and will need to be sent to SCT,
after sent to SCT will i be able to use the custom tunes?? i know this probly depends if the strategys are compatable correct??

if i cant use the custom tunes can i extract them from the SF3?? get my strategy to match then use them??

also how can i tell if it has custom tunes in it?? the only vehicle i have to plug it into is my 07 dodge ram OBDII port to power up

sorry for all the ?'s but i dont want to end up with a over priced used SF3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehighturbo View Post
Soo i have an oppurtunity to buy a used SF3 cheap!! that supposedly has 3 can tunes and some custom tunes it is locked and will need to be sent to SCT,
after sent to SCT will i be able to use the custom tunes?? i know this probly depends if the strategys are compatable correct??

if i cant use the custom tunes can i extract them from the SF3?? get my strategy to match then use them??

also how can i tell if it has custom tunes in it?? the only vehicle i have to plug it into is my 07 dodge ram OBDII port to power up

sorry for all the ?'s but i dont want to end up with a over priced used SF3
I think when you send the SCT in to be unlocked, they wipe it clean (custom tunes deleted). But if you know the buyer, he can pull them off his PC and put them on a flash drive or he can e-mail them to you.

Be absolutely sure those custom tunes will work with your truck, you could end up with a towing bill to the dealer and $150 for a reflash.

You won't be able to extract the tunes off of the SCT, and tune writers won't rewrite them to your strategy because you didn't buy from them. They need to make a living too.

You can power up the SCT with the USB cord hooked to a PC, then scroll to the custom tunes to see what tunes are on there.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:08 AM

So i better get it for $100 or less to be worth it
Old 10-26-2011, 05:11 AM

also i have a buddy with some custom tunes from eric he no longer has his SCT X3 but does have the files can i use these tunes on this SF3 once it has been unlocked??
Old 10-26-2011, 05:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

No, the tunes are locked to the serial number on that particular SF3 device. Best advice I can give you is to get out $100 and go buy new custom tunes for YOUR truck. It'll be set up better anyways.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehighturbo View Post
So i better get it for $100 or less to be worth it
$100 or less, you figure if you pay $100 for a locked SCT, then send it to SCT to be unlocked for $150, now your at $250. Well that's about the going price on here for a used SCT that is unlocked and ready to go hassle free. No down time waiting for SCT and the mailing service.

For $100 plus $150 for unlock and then include the cost of shipping to SCT, now throw in the down time waiting for SCT to unlock it and your time involved. You need to determine if it's worth your headache. It's cheaper than buying new, but you can find them used on here for about the same price ($250) unlocked.

Try to low ball him for $50, because of the unlock fee ($150), shipping fees, and hassle, and tell him that his custom tunes are worthless to you.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Here is some info from SCT, concerning used custom tunes from another truck.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/sct...s-answers.html

Yes, some truck strategy/years are interchangeable , but if your not sure, why risk it.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 AM

supposedly its for the same year truck but i do not know my strategy or the one the tunes are for,I was hoping worse case i was gonna be able to use my buddys tunes, i didnt plan on using the custom tunes that are in it

Last edited by Milehighturbo; 10-26-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.