First diesel! Where do I start? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 07:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First diesel! Where do I start?

Hey guys I just bought my first 06 F-350 6.0 auto trans It's all stock except for the new 4" tb exhaust. I have heard so many thing that should be done. Where do I start. I migt do some towing with it but I really wanted a play toy and to have a project truck to tune up. And suggestions would be helpfull.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Start with lots of reading on the org
Old 10-22-2011, 09:51 PM
back to business

^^I agree!!

And I'd suggest doing the "preventitive" mods and supporting mods before you start throwing performance parts at it.

Exhaust is a good first step...........next, in no particular order; guages of some type, coolant flush/change/filter, EGR delete or BP, studs, make sure fuel system is in good shape (possibly upgrade FPR) including injectors, make sure the turbo is healthy......

Have fun, feel free to ask questions,
Old 10-23-2011, 04:49 AM

Welcome, I am new to the PSD too, but I was greedy and wanted some performance from the word go, now I am paying for it to the tune of $2,600.

Like 07Outlaw said, start with some preventitive stuff first. There is a big list, and it will take some time, but not too expensive. Adding to Outlaws list, banjo bolts, synthenic oil with some Rev-X--this will help clean up your stock injectors if they are sticking, coolant flush/filter....The above would take a full weekend to tackle and about $350-400.

EGR delete or BP-- The delete will cause the engine light to come on and you will need a tuner to turn it off, BP is Bullet Proof in case you need to pass inspection, however, there are ways to delete and give the appearance of still having it--When you do the EGR delete or BP, you may as well do the following since you'll be in pretty deep...STC fitting, dummy plugs and stand pipes, cleaning the turbo...This is will probably take a full weekend, all day both days and around $1,000 depending on what parts you end up with and a tuner with custom tunes--On that note, SCT is the best tuner for the 6.0, search it and you will see...

Like 07CCPS said, start with lots of reading. You can search any of the above mods and find tons of info and opinions, as well as tips. Also find the tech pages, they have lots of good info too. Ask lots of questions, we were all just starting out at one point and were in your shoes. Good luck
Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Lots of reading here:

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

Did you get an oasis report to see what may have been done to your truck by the previous owners? I recommend getting a scanguage II to see where your truck is right now. It's the cheapest way to get a monitoring device on there.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Serving Our Country!

Welcome to the ORG! As all have stated above do the prevention work as soon as possible.

If you plan on power upgrades you will have to get the head bolts replaced with ARP studs if it has not already been done. It is real easy to tell if the are done or not. Just look at the left side of the engine right above the exhaust manifold. If you see bolt heads and not a stud with a 12 point nut you still have the stock TTY bolts. Those stock bolts will stretch and cause the Head Gasket to fail.

EGR and Oil cooler are by far the most important and can cause the most damage when they fail (next would be major engine component failure i.e. piston rod rings, bearings ect. ect. ....) causing costly repair bills.

Coolant filter will help along with not using the Ford Gold Collant get a good ELC after flushing with Restore and Restore Plus.

Using a quality oil and oil filter is a must and keep up with your oil changes your injector health depends on it.

Get a good monitoring system weather it be gauges or a monitor like an EDGE CTS. You want to watch EOT(Engine Oil Temp), ECT(Engine Coolant Temp), EOP(Engine Oil Pressure), FICM (Fuel Injector Control Module) Voltage, EGT(Exhaust Gas Temp) there are more things to monitor but these are important.

Your EOT and ECT have a temp delta of 15 deg programed in to the truck. Meaning if your EOT rises 15 deg abouve your ECT you will get a CKENG light. Having EOT higher than the ECT is an indicator that your Oil Cooler is getting plugged and could fail due to over pressure. ERG cooler can also fail due to this over pressure.

There are extensive threads on every one of these subjects that I have just touched on and more on things I have not mentioned. My next upgrade is the monitoring system so you can kind of get an order of importance idea from my signature. Good Luck and have fun you will never stop learning I can tell you that much for a fact.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:07 AM

Wow. Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to get the 6.0 solution kit. It has everything that you guys mentioned as far as engine parts go. And next weekend I'm putting my dig intake 6637 together.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just stay away from black onyx or black MLS head gaskets and stick with oem.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
Just stay away from black onyx or black MLS head gaskets and stick with oem.
Good call on the gaskets. I forgot to mention that little tid bit of info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.