Injectors without a performance tune? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Injectors without a performance tune?

My warranty is months from expiration. Maintaining my warranty has been the reason I have left my truck mostly stock for the last 5 years (the motor i mean). This paid off as I have had two injectors replaced under warranty, so that worked out good. Anyway, I want to do a couple things for now to promote longevity of my engine, and later when i have a little more time and money dump a lot of mods. So my basic plan for now is to just do an EGR delete, and later i will do studs, injectors, turbo. For now I am going to order the Gogo stage 1 intake/delete and install. My question is while im that deep,(turbo off, injectors in sight) would there be any benefit to adding 155 injectors and a powermax. Here is the kicker.... I tow heavy, my truck is pulling 17k-19k 95% of the time it is driven. So i have a very moderate 50HP tow tune and I drive it smartly. I will not be increasing the tune ever, until I am studded. With that being said, would there be any benefit of 155s? im thinking that with a very low power tune, im not even maxing out what the stock injectors could provide right? so no point in adding bigger ones. My main goal is to keep the cylinder head compression close to stock, so i dont cause myself head gasket issues. Same with the powermax, Yes i could benefit from cooler temps, but am i even maxing out my stock turbo with a low power tune? and would the powermax lead to higher cylinder pressure?

Thanks for any advice, remember round one = just want to do longevity modes so EGR delete for sure, considering the turbo/injectors

round two = (within a year or so) studs, injectors, turbo (aimed to tow).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To be honest when I return my truck to stock tune with my 155's, it doesn't feel any stronger than it did with stock injectors. Maybe a little more torque at cruising speeds.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:59 PM

You will be good with 155cc injectors. They are a jump but no a big enough jump to mess your egt's up. And you are going to get the go go intake, so that will have a huge impact on egts and turbo spool up with the PM.

In YOUR situation(tow lbs, tires, lift and having a fun to play with truck), modifying the injectors will have more effects on your engine and how it performs than most others.
Because of this, you really really should put a good amount of effort into getting good custom tunes for the 155cc and powermax because of your situation.
And get the FICM tuned for the 155cc injectors.

I assume you will have an airdog 1 or 2 and pressure sustained above 60psi in all load situations.

The new batmowheel is under allot of hype with out allot of facts and results. But by the time you get the powermax the wheel should have more reviews, good review, I suggest getting that to help with egt's and faster spool up.

But you will have the bigger intake. With that I would not put the batmowheel at the top of the list.

Last edited by smokersteve; 10-23-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The Powermax and 155s sounds like a perfect set up for what you do, but if I was you, I would wait to do the turbo and injectors until you stud it and get your new tunes. Not because it would be unsafe to run 155s without studs, but because the Powermax NEEDS custom tunes or it will lag much worse than the stock turbo.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:09 AM

I would stick with stock injectors for what you tow... you said yourself you tow heavy and often... stock would be best and cause the least concerns.

If you do upgrade, it would be dumb to NOT get tunes. The trans wont like the extra power with no tuning. Tuning is what saves our trans and why we can take them up past 500hp and live. Without the tuning though... not gonna last long.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub707 View Post
I would stick with stock injectors for what you tow... you said yourself you tow heavy and often... stock would be best and cause the least concerns.

If you do upgrade, it would be dumb to NOT get tunes. The trans wont like the extra power with no tuning. Tuning is what saves our trans and why we can take them up past 500hp and live. Without the tuning though... not gonna last long.
Well he is getting the gogo intake. that has a huge drop in egt's and helps with spool up. a faster spool up will help the egt's stay low while the PM is trying to spool.
And if he gets the BM wheel, that will help too.

And, with the 155cc and PM, he will have the power when he needs it. The engine will have a better time handling the weight that he tows.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
We have Cass's 155's and the Powermax's..package deal..PM me if I can help.

Cary
Old 10-24-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
Well he is getting the gogo intake. that has a huge drop in egt's and helps with spool up. a faster spool up will help the egt's stay low while the PM is trying to spool.
And if he gets the BM wheel, that will help too.

And, with the 155cc and PM, he will have the power when he needs it. The engine will have a better time handling the weight that he tows.
Call up one of the tuners and see what they recommend... I bet most of them say stay with stock sticks. I know the intake will help tremendously, but the fact is he'd be stepping up an injector size and a turbo that is sure to lag slightly more than stock... I'm not saying it can't be done, but the most reliable setup is going to be stock sticks with possibly a good towing tune, or a good trans tune only. It's just my opinion. I would call the tuners up and see what they say.

I'm sure it can be made to work and work well. However, I would NEVER run it without tuning to match.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:21 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For the work that needs to be done get it all done at once. Studs, intake, turbo, injectors, etc. Why pull it all off now only to do it again later on??

Mod the EGR up-pipe, adjust the SCT tuning and drive it till you are ready for all the work. I ran modded like this for a LONG time towing and the like with no problems.

I'm now running the GOGO intake, a PowerMax with SCT tuning on stock sticks with great results. I still need to tow with this setup but for the power I have gained I'm sure I'll be smiling the whole time.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:38 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Do all the work at once and if you can only swing either the batmowheel or gogo intake, I would do the gogo intake over the batmowheel. IMO you WILL need the 155s to help the PM spool to your liking and your EGTs should be fine with a tow tune written for that setup. In reality it all comes down to everyone's opinion and unfortunately will take actual data to confirm our theories. Nevertheless, with the huge increase in air flow due to the PM and gogo intake, I would submit to you that you should be fine towing what you already do with 155s. Now if you were trying for 175s then I would be a little more concerned but I really think you'll want the 155s to help light that PM like you need for towing. JMO Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.