DIY head studs? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY head studs?

just looking for any input...i have read that it is possible to install head studs without lifting the cab. my gaskets are not blown (for all i know) and i would love to keep them from deciding to open up at the most inopportune time. is it possible to install studs without pulling the heads, by removing one bolt at a time and installing and retorquing the stud? if not then what would i need to do to install studs myself? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What are you planning on doing with your truck that you want studs?
Is it possible to do them one at a time yes with the cab stil on yes. Should you do them one at a time that's up to you most ppl say it not worth the time it takes to do one at a time. But if you planned on doing them eventually then go for it you can't waste any thing but time. I did see someone did it one by one and had 12k after with no problems.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:42 PM

i just wanted to do them without pulling the head because i dont have any signs of blown gaskets. and i have it tuned and do some moderate towing so just want to stud it to keep any future head gasket problems from showing up.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

There were several issues with the cylinder heads on the 6.0L. The head bolts were just the beginning. Cracks in the valve seats or thru the head were a major issue. So that being said if you want to do studs do it right and pull the heads have them machined, pressure tested, and magnifluxed for cracks. Just my
Old 10-20-2011, 04:06 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2elvis View Post
There were several issues with the cylinder heads on the 6.0L. The head bolts were just the beginning. Cracks in the valve seats or thru the head were a major issue. So that being said if you want to do studs do it right and pull the heads have them machined, pressure tested, and magnifluxed for cracks. Just my
X2 what he said. Unless you are going to do it the right way (as outlined in the above post) you are inviting future problems.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you don't have any problems and do not plan on adding big power adders, leave it be until the time comes.

It wouldn't seem doing them one at a time would hurt, but as tempermental as these engines can be, not to mention the force of the explosion in the combustion chamber, it just isn't worth it. As close as the bolts are together, you could still develop high and low spots on the head surface.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:53 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I just think for the PITA it would be to pull everything out to do it one at a time you really are saving anything IMO by not pulling the heads and having them properly checked out. Doing the head gaskets isnt really that hard of a job just make sure you have an engine puller to lift the heads out. Makes it way easier.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I am learning everyday about my 6.0 and love to do so. I just had a buddy have his studded and it was just over 3000 and I envy him because I want mine done so much. But with a price like that WTF. Ive never heard of replacing studs without pulling the heads. Talk about a money saver if it worked.. just the labor for studs is around 2 grand.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:05 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
These trucks don't have the underhood room that Chevy trucks from the 70's and 80's had. Plus have alot more crap to remove. $2000 for labor is what I paid, plus $600 for machining and port and polish,plus studs,o rings,oil cooler, gasket set, etc..... All said and done, it was around $4000 for everything and couldn't be happier, if you really want to flip out, see how much a tranny removal and rebuild is. $2000 is drop in the bucket compared to all that.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:10 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well I can buy some pretty good upgrades for $2000 and in reality when I did mine it cost me more time because I am not a mechanic and about $350 for extra tools I needed. Now we all need an excuse to buy more tools. If you can afford to have your truck down a little longer then I would recommend doing it yourself. If not then pay to have someone do it. Nevertheless as mentioned before, this is a doable job. I am not a mechanic and completed it in my garage. It does take two people to get the heads out and back in, even with a jack. I just recommend that you have the heads checked out/rebuilt at a machine shop and get oem gaskets and new orings and gaskets for everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.