Swamps 58V FICM Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Swamps 58V FICM Question

So I just bought a new 58V Swamps FICM (courtesy of tuckman) and installed it in my 2004. I visited with Swamps before I bought just to make sure on compatibility. Tuckman told me it had the PHP mild flash and inductive heating option. Whatever on that... I'm in Oklahoma, when it's cold, I plug it in anyways. Since I've installed it, my truck runs GREAT. Huge difference in response and throttle. Very smooth and silky power now. Highly recommend this upgrade to 6.0L owners who haven't already invested. Now, here's my deal with it: we've had a cold front come through and it's been getting down to 40's-50's at night. The past three mornings when I go out and start my truck to let it warm up (not plugged in), it starts right up after I cycle the glow plugs. Nice clean and crisp fire off with 48V reading on my CTS all the time now. But once I start the truck, it sounds worse than it did with my original FICM for about 45 seconds. It rattles and lopes a little bit, but it's not missing or struggling. Just sounds worse than it did before. After 30-45 seconds, it's like someone hits a switch and it clears right up and runs smooth as can be. I've not had any injector stiction prior to this. I run T6 and Motorcraft filters. Never had a cold idle issue beforehand, and I'm just wondering what I'm seeing. I may try and snap a video of it and post tomorrow morning when I start it up and show you guys. Other than that initial 45 seconds, I love this FICM.

I called Swamps today and asked them about it. They told me to give it a week and if nothing changes to try and reinstall my old FICM and see if it changes. He thought maybe my flash was not jiving with the PHP flash, but couldn't see why it would run great other than initial cold startup. I'll check back with them next week after I watch it some more.

Anyone have any insight they'd like to share with me?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

"I've owned Ford all my life, it'll pull it." - Hugh Rowland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have one as well, and have seen all the benefits that you have, but not the rough run at initial startup. I am in Wichita, so we got the same cold front that you did.

I am curious though, does your voltage fluctuate? My swamps FICM has dropped as low as 45v on cold start, but goes right up to 48v after minute or so.

2006 F250 Lariat FX4:
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Blue FPR Spring
Edge Insight CTS
1200rpm High Idle Mod
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
58v Swamps FICM
Old 10-20-2011, 04:19 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When you installed the ficm, did you double check the plugs? I know this will sound odd, but you may have a plug that is slightly loose and after little heat gets to it, it swells up and fills the void.

I have seen this in other electronic parts. Even though the plugs snap in, double check to make sure there is no play. I have the 58v php unit and my plugs are in very tight, no wiggle at all.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:22 PM

This is interesting, I am having the same issue with the OEM FICM. I checked the voltage tonight (the truck sat for about 24 hours temp about 55 degrees) using SWAMPS instructions on there website.

Key turned: 47.9v-48v
While starting: 19v-20v
At idle: 37.7v-38v

It looks like I maybe purchasing one of these from SWAMPS.

Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badyota82 View Post
I have one as well, and have seen all the benefits that you have, but not the rough run at initial startup. I am in Wichita, so we got the same cold front that you did.

I am curious though, does your voltage fluctuate? My swamps FICM has dropped as low as 45v on cold start, but goes right up to 48v after minute or so.
Since I installed it, my voltage has been almost dead on 48V. Lowest I've seen it drop to was 47.0V when I was flat dogging it, seeing what it would do. Generally driving around, I see 47.5-48V consistently. When I first start it cold in the mornings, 48V on the dot.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg85 View Post
When you installed the ficm, did you double check the plugs? I know this will sound odd, but you may have a plug that is slightly loose and after little heat gets to it, it swells up and fills the void.

I have seen this in other electronic parts. Even though the plugs snap in, double check to make sure there is no play. I have the 58v php unit and my plugs are in very tight, no wiggle at all.
I may have to look into that and just double check. I meant to get some electircal grease to put on the connectors before I plugged them back in, but I forgot and didn't grab any. Plus I was so excited to get it put in, I couldn't hardly wait. All the connectors were super clean and the rubber gaskets were in great shape. They went in kind of tight, but I figured that was a good thing so they would seal well. I may see about loosening it up and pressing on them a bit more and make sure everything is tight. Like I said, truck isn't missing, but it sure sounds cold blooded and I never had that issue with my OEM FICM. I'm gonna snap a video in the morning with my phone and see if I can figure out how to post it up on here.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.thed View Post
Since I installed it, my voltage has been almost dead on 48V. Lowest I've seen it drop to was 47.0V when I was flat dogging it, seeing what it would do. Generally driving around, I see 47.5-48V consistently. When I first start it cold in the mornings, 48V on the dot.
I'm confused... in your original post (and in the title) you say you have a "Swamps 58v FICM"
I would expect the voltage to be 58v not 48v (although the CTS will only read a max 50v)

Did you actually mean to say you have a Swamps 48v FICM?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:17 PM

I think the edge will only read 48v
Old 10-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I'm confused... in your original post (and in the title) you say you have a "Swamps 58v FICM"
I would expect the voltage to be 58v not 48v (although the CTS will only read a max 50v)

Did you actually mean to say you have a Swamps 48v FICM?
Swamps actually programs their units to read 48V instead of showing the actual 58V output. I guess not to cause problems with monitors and diagnostics?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

"I've owned Ford all my life, it'll pull it." - Hugh Rowland
Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.thed View Post
Swamps actually programs their units to read 48V instead of showing the actual 58V output. I guess not to cause problems with monitors and diagnostics?
How do you know you have a 58v and not a 48v if it only will read 48?
I would swear when I looked at the FICM voltage on my CTS it was reading 50v, I will check it again tomorrow.

What about when you check the voltage under the FICM access cover with a meter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.