Decided to stud it. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Decided to stud it.

Well, I made the call to the Dealer today and we agreed on a price of right at 5,000 dollars to fix my oil cooler, replace all necessary components, clean the coolant system, pull the heads and have em checked, new Ford head gaskets, ARP studs, SCT SF3 programmer (they have some deal with River City Diesel) a new key/remote ( I only had one key and no remote) and a partridge in a pear tree...

Just kidding about the bird in the tree- that would most likely cost extra. I decided to spend the extra money in hopes that this thing will now be as reliable as possible and I can quit being nervous when I drive it. What do y'all think? The SF3 will come with canned tunes on it, but I think I can add custom tunes later... (?) He's also gonna check the trans fluid and see if it needs to be flushed and filter changed. So, I'm sure hoping to get it done, buttoned back up and back in my stable soon! Any clue as to what kind've fuel mileage one of these rigs gets with SF3 canned tunes and a 5 inch straight pipe? Thanks y'all! I sure appreciate all of the help I've received so far!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes the SF3 will hold canned and custom tunes. Can't help you on the MPG, too many variables involve, mainly your right foot.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 AM

Haha, I understand- yessir, that could be a pretty significant variable! Thanks for the info on the tuner!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The only thing I see is that you REALLY need to make sure that your heads are either sent out to a machine shop and checked for flatness, cracks, etc or if you get new heads, send them out to be checked for flatness as well. Main thing get the heads checked out by someone other than the dealer. JMO
Old 10-20-2011, 12:38 PM

Oh, yeah- they send them to the best place in our area. This shop has been known for being the best for many years. So, hopefully they'll turn out to be fine. Thanks for the tip though!
Old 10-20-2011, 01:38 PM

As soon as I got my sct sf3 i put it on extreme with egr off. I mainly use my truck for cruising around town. My edge insight was saying i was getting 22.5 and my app that keep ups with my fuel usage said 22.1. All i have is a straight 4" exhaust, afe intake, and Zoodad. Of course yours will vary but just thought id chime in with my results.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:45 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

What are you getting by hand calculation? I ask because my Edge is WAY off and so are a bunch of other folks I talk to. The only "true" way to know fuel mileage (provided your odometer is correct) is to fill the tank to a know volume (for me the cap) and then drive a distance and refill and however many gallons you used for that distance will determine your fuel economy. I say all that because a lot of folks will claim over 20+ mpg in these trucks but I have only heard of a select few that actually claim that with hand calculations. Just my $.02
Old 10-20-2011, 02:26 PM

there is an app from android i use. Just called fuel mileage or something. Everytime you get gas you put in the odometer, how many gallons you bought, at what price per gallon, if the tank was filled all the way or not and etc. Then it'll automatically calculate it so when you open it up itll show you your gas mileage at different fill ups, your cost per mile and etc.
Previous to the sct tune being on there i was getting around 14mpg according to that application and my monitor. The next full tank ran through it with the sct was 22.1. Kind of outlandish mpg gains. But the numbers speak for themselves.
Since my oil change and custom tune its been reading 19+ on the cts and i havent filled back up to see what this tank of fuels mileage will be on the app.
Need to keep in mind I've been VERY light on the peddle and my truck is a manual so my shifting will be a variable too.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Well, I've been getting 14.5 tops hand calculated with the truck stock with a 5 inch Straight pipe- I'm just hoping it'll come up to maybe 17 or so... any more than that and I'll be grinning from ear to ear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.