K&N air filter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question K&N air filter?

Ok, I just read on the I hate Fords thread that K&N air filters are turbo killers.... Great, my truck has one. So if this is true then which air filter should I go with? The stock one is long gone....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Well it really comes down to if you want to go buy a new stock intake or just say screw it and stay aftermarket. (I dont know how much a new stock intake system would cost but if you are going to get it from the dealer I bet it is going to be expensive) If you stay aftermarket, I would recommend going with a S&B kit. They are the only ones I would trust to properly filter your air and are guaranteed not to void your factory warranty. I am kind of in the same boat as you with my AFE kit being a POS have done alot of reading here lately and that is the best I can come up with. So while the factory intake is good for 500hp, I am planning on trying to build my truck to handle more than that so I am going to stay aftermarket and have a S&B orderd. Some other kits out there may advertise more flow but I bet they dont filter as good and are probably more expensive. Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree, I also like Banks but you pay big $$ for the name. Bottom line IMO nothing CLEANS the air better then the OEM filter which is the main reason I run two in parallel stuffed up inside my winch type bumper but obviously not everyone has the room to do that.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:38 AM

Have a stock air filter box off a 07 with a filter. want to buy it? Ilove my AFE stage II.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billieg View Post
Ok, I just read on the I hate Fords thread that K&N air filters are turbo killers....
You'd better tell that to my stock 100k mile turbo that's had a K&N on it since day one.

IMO, K&Ns get a bad rap due to peoples inabilty to properly maintain and oil them. Properly oiled, I've never had an issue with several different K&Ns with power adders behind them. In my younger days, before I knew better, I used to oil the piss out of them which would cause MAF issues. Once I got that figured out, no problems.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for all the replies. How do you oil a filter and what kind of oil do you use?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by billieg View Post
Thanks for all the replies. How do you oil a filter and what kind of oil do you use?
When I had a K&N in my old tuboed 89 7.3 I put the oil in one of those plastic spray trigger bottles like for household cleaners.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've always used the K&N oil that comes in the cleaning kits. It comes in a pump spray bottle.

Two of the best points of advice I can give about K&Ns are:

1. Make sure it is DRY before oiling. They can hold water for hours.

2. Don't try and get it oiled up too quickly. Gently spread the pleats and give it a nice light even spray all over. It doesn't take much. THEN LET IT SIT FOR AN HOUR OR SO. If you have any pure white patches left, lightly spray them again and let it soak some more. Apply oil from the outside of filter only. If you've done it right, your filter will be more of a pink color than red.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You learn something new everyday. Thanks. I'm looking at a cold air intake but just got through putting over $4,800 in the truck so the $$ is tight.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

K & N not worth keeping, they get a bad wrap because most people would not buy those even for there commuter hondas and Toyotas because they do more harm than good. S & B and Banks are the ones I would go with outside of stock. So windrunner you went with the S & B. By the way I have a 05 intake with 3 month old filter I will part with at a good rate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.