Tunes and EGTs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tunes and EGTs

Well I noticed what I think is high EGTs for my tune so I am starting this to compare stock vs. tuned both with factory exhaust as well as 4" turbo back both with and without a Cat.

So far I have stock exhaust data.

Stock-1100 WOT
SRL- 1600+WOT

I just installed my fuel pressure gauge today and we will see what happens. I already have the blue spring mod and idle show 68-70# of pressure. I will see what happens to it on a WOT run with SRL loaded up as soon as the roads dry out.

I will keep this updated with the data I get as I go along for others to learn about.

I will say when I drained some coolant to do my coolant filter it was yellow but really clear, no sediment or anything from the radiator drain.

Dik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Premium Member

Just a thought as I was nosing around the truck this afternoon. My hot side boot at the intercooler clearly has oil saturation issues. I am still building 25+ pounds of boost. Could the boot allow boost to leak out through the boot but still build enough to appear normal? I did not know that diesels were backwards on high temps (rich is hot on diesel, lean is hot on gas).

My SRL seems smokey at WOT compared to what I have seen on videos from others on here. It doesn't seem to clear up when on it.

I have not been able to get another WOT run but I do have my fuel pressure gauge hooked up now.

I figure I need to post Boost, fuel pressure, and EGTs. Is ICP good info also? Mine is around 3750 at WOT.

Just looking for what to post for the best ideas on the problem.

Dik
Old 10-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

So I finally got the exhaust installed. By myself it took about 3 hours to install. I ran it with the cat installed and then installed my test pipe and ran it again. Their was absolutely no difference in EGT between the Cat and the test pipe.

On a WOT run I was hitting 1500ish which is around 100 to 150 less than stock with my tune. My boost is 25-26 and my fuel pressure never went below 54#.

Dik
Old 10-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i say maybe little boost leek as i heard from matt at gearhead supose to be 28 all i know is my srl there is no smoke at all after the turbo lits not even haze
Old 10-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its hard for me to his 28psi with my SRL, I have to be in the right situation, but most of the time on flat ground I hit 26 tops...
Old 10-16-2011, 09:36 AM

I get a lot of smoke with SRL off the go, then nothing once the turbo lights. I also have a really hard time getting my boost over 22lbs. I never thought to look for a leak anywhere though.

My EGT's hit 1400 real quick when i really get on it. I wont usually let it run over 1200 for more than a few seconds. engines are expensive
Old 10-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiBake View Post
I get a lot of smoke with SRL off the go, then nothing once the turbo lights. I also have a really hard time getting my boost over 22lbs. I never thought to look for a leak anywhere though.

My EGT's hit 1400 real quick when i really get on it. I wont usually let it run over 1200 for more than a few seconds. engines are expensive
In another post, you stated that you have the EGR valve unplugged. This might be why your not getting over 22psi. Under high boost psi, you can actually have the valve blow open if the internal spring in the valve is weak.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:24 PM

That is interesting. I towed my 4000lb travel trailer to tofino last weekend. Had to go over a couple small mountain ranges so I took SRL off and went back to stock.

Truck hit 27-29 lbs of boost going up most of the big hills. This makes me inclined to believe it is the tune not my truck limiting boost
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 AM

With mods in my sig on Looney, I can hit 1520 and it will stay over 1450 if I let it. I need an exhaust.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Elevation has a lot to do with EGT's. It's common for us Coloradans to push 1600-1700* with the SRL. I do get a bit of haze, and prefer it that way. Think of it this way, if I'm hazing (not rolling coal), my injectors are not starving for fuel

Last edited by 2006PSDSD; 10-17-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.