Installing Lockers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing Lockers

At the end of this year I will be getting the ARB RD37 air locker for the Ford 10.5 rear axle. As to my knowledge that is the only selectable locker for that kind of axle.

I am also leaning towards getting the Eaton E-Locker 19760-010 for the front dana 60. ARB also makes the RD167. I have not decided yet due to the prices.

The RD37 for the rear is already $800+ and im not sure I want to put another $800+ for the E-Locker 19760-010 or another $1,000+ for the ARB RD167.

But the rear RD37 is for sure.

I plan to install the locker(s) my self. I would like some advice, links, manuals, tools to buy, parts to buy, cheaper prices!... stuff like that. What ever information you have would be great!

I appreciate the help!

Last edited by smokersteve; 10-08-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What is your intended use for the locker? Drag strip or off road? If you're wanting off-road performance, skip the rear and just put the E-locker in the front axle. The front axle has more weight on it so in 4wd a locker there will have more benefit. I put a TruTrac in my rear axle and wish now I had just left the factory LS there and put the E-locker in the front. Another option for a selectable locker in the rear is to keep an eye out for a Ford e-locker from a wrecked 2011, but buying new they are ridiculous.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:49 PM

I have front and rear detroits. My front is full time, you will be wise to get a selectable. I couldnt steer or turn well in 4x4 before my hyrdo steering. No complaints about full time rear, even towing, even on ice (lived in AK 4 years with it, towed down ALCAN in Feb with)

For the install, if you dont change gears, and re-use same ring gear, you wont have to mess with pinion depth. You will have to adjust shims to get preload right, need the tools and the know-how. Can find most the "how to" on the net. Will need a descent size press to get the new bearings on the new carrier. Lockers = single best mods to make a truck a truck...period
Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 PM

I am not interested in getting automatic lockers.
If I did not go on "roads" with snow and ice I would get them, but I to up to Tahoe often.

Instead of getting the selectable locker, I am also thinking of getting a very nice clutch pack limited slip. I do not know of any

cartmenea, the weight difference between the front and rear has got me thinking again.

I have thought about getting the new ford locker used, but I don't know where to look.

I am keeping the same gears, 3.73.

My ideas are:
(numbers not important)
1. front selectable, rear selectable.
2. front no change, rear selectable.
3. front selectable, rear no change.
4. front clutch pack limited slip, rear selectable.
5. front selectable, rear clutch pack limited slip.

What is the name of the measuring tool for the shim adjustment?

Last edited by smokersteve; 10-09-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
there is no measuring tool for the rear, not sure about the front, since the front is a dana you would likely need dummy bearings to set it up properly

The rear you just put one shim on the left(constant size that escapes me right now) then the largest shim that will fit on the right side.

If your backlash is in spec then you add .006 to both sides and pound them in. If backlash needs adjusted you have to add and subtract from each side until it's good

I didn't do any of that for my rear end. put it in, check pattern and lash, all was good with no adjustments. You'd know it if it was too tight or too loose, if you use new bearings it needs to be a little tight so they seat into the races good
Old 10-10-2011, 11:44 AM

I had a front locker and rear Auburn LS in my last truck. The auburn LS was a huge waste of time and money. Worked great for 6 months then about as good as stock. Combined with the front locker it worked pretty well. Just having a front locker alone would get you through most anything
Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM

So far this is what I have settled on....

Eaton e-locker in the front first.
During or after this winter I feel the need to get teh rear arb locker I will.

But so far I will start the front off with a selectable locker.

Any one know of a price cheaper than $812?

Eaton also has a rebate $30 off of $400+, $50 off of $500+ and $70 offf of $700+

So far these are the cleapest places I have found the EATON E-Locker 19760-010
$812
Eaton Part 19760-010 - E-Locker by Eaton for Jeep
E-Locker by Eaton
Eaton Part 19760-010 - E-Locker by Eaton
19760-010 EATON E LOCKER DANA 60 35 SPLINE
$824
Eaton E-Locker - $749.95

I will also be waiting to buy the e-locker when the end of the year sales come out.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:57 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjock15 View Post
Lockers = single best mods to make a truck a truck...period

IMO get the selectable locker you want for the front first and then worry about the rear. For the rear I would go with a detroit or a trutrac LS. Forget the clutch pack LS if you already have one in the factory rear end.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 AM

Im not interested in getting automatic lockers. They might make me slip MORE on ice and snow. I would if I did not go on ice and snow for half the year.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So by having a selectable locker is going to make you slip less when locked?? If that is the case then and you are worried about the money then just put the selectable locker in the front and leave whatever you have in the rear (if you like it) or if you are going to go with a locker for the rear then get a selectable for that too. But if you are going to get only one then get one for the front axle like mentioned above. JMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.