New 6.0 owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 6.0 owner

I just bought a 05 6.0 f250 with 150,00 miles on it, this is my plan ino i need the arp head studs and egr delete kit. my question is do i need to do those first before i put a exhaust on it, i want to add a exhaust and guages first before anything else, cuz i wont plan on doing head studs til this winter with a programmer, also this is my daily driver and i drive 80 miles roud trip 5 days a week i want more power better mpg and black smoke whats my best options here i dont tow anything with it. the truck does have a new egr and hpop installed right b4 i bought it. some help here would be great thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You want more power along with black smoke and better MPG! HA!!!

Sorry!! Had to do it!!

Running late for work, will respond later if others don't beat me to it. You've got alot of reading ahead of you!!! LOL !
Old 10-08-2011, 10:42 AM

lol well im pulling 16 completely stock now with it so ino it wont be much better all im looking for is like 1-3mpg more
Old 10-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

well first your going to have to sacrifice one of your wants to get the other because black smoke is unburnt fuel so you cant get good mileage blowing black smoke everywhere. it just doesnt work like that, im one of those that says if its not broke dont fix it so i would get a tune for non studded trucks and run it and maybe you have a good one and wont ever have to do the studs. but i would highly recommend the egr delete.

also just a side note you should know, black smoke does not= horse power. get you a clean tune and you will be happy when your not stopping at every fuel station you pass. i know being a new diesel owner you want to blow smoke on everyone and everywhere i was the same way. But as you read and drive your truck you will learn dumping smoke isnt cool.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:55 AM

yea ino i dont want black smoke ever time i get on the pedal just once in while when i want to, my pocket book isnt like full lol!!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 AM

whats a good tune for a non studded truck then. egr was on the top of my list but i want the exhaust done so i can get more of the whistle out!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:00 AM

srl from gearhead , innovative diesel is the two im looking at right now they both have good reps with non studded truck and niether blow a lot of smoke. so you will get good mileage
Old 10-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

Scratch the studs off the list UNLESS you are currently having head gasket issues. Do the exhaust and the EGR delete together since you will be taking the down pipe off the turbo anyway. Plus, the Up-pipe that you will be replacing when you do the EGR delete is easier to get to with the down pipe out of the way. Gauges; if you are looking to save money go with the Scangauge II. It will read everything you need except the EGTs. If money is not a concern go with the Edge product line because it can also be used as the programmer. If you did the Scangauge II you will still have to buy a programmer. Personally I have the Scangauge II because I already had an SCT programmer. Eventually I'll buy a mechanical gauge to read the EGTs.

There are, of course, other things you can do when you do the EGR delete that most people here will recommend you do. These are things such as replacing your oil cooler or at least rebuilding it and changing you coolant to the ELC with no silicate in it. While you are in there you could also change your thermostat for around $20.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:24 PM

glow shift has a 3 in 1 gauge fro 160. not sure how good it is but for the price it looks pretty good
Old 10-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Alrighty then!!

The first thing to do is get a gauge/monitor solution. You need to see what's going on with the motor before you start blowing money on stuff that won't make it reliable. Some of the key parameters will be ECT, EOT, Fuel psi, FICM, just to name a few. Read this link to better understand why.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

While your making your decision on a monitoring solution, get a full Oasis Report from a Ford Dealer, this will tell all the work that has been done to your truck when it was brought in for warranty work.

After you have a monitor solution, and your ready to dig into the motor to fix any known issues, your gonna want to update certain parts of the motor that have issues per the year motor you have. The '05's have issues with the Snap To Connect (STC) fitting, there is a updated part for this, along with dummy plugs in the HPOP rail. Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) spring, the original spring gets weak and causes low fuel psi that can/will cause injector damage.

Now, to delete the EGR cooler or not. It's illegal to delete an emissions equipment per EPA. BUT! a lot of us do it anyway. Now this will also depend on what state you live in, some states are stricter than others when it comes to looking for emissions equipment. If your in one of them states, look into Bullet Proof Diesel's EGR cooler to keep you legal. Some day the EPA might reinforce the laws, and those of us who are delete will have to put on our emissions equipment.

Aftermarket exhaust- you can go a couple of ways here. A larger OD exhaust and maintain the CAT and aftermarket muffler (CAT back system). There is also a turbo back system that maintains the CAT. You can also go with a straight pipe (off-road) system, no cat or muffler. It's a matter of how much money you want to spend on the size OD of the pipes, and what the pipes are made out of (stainless, aluminized, steel).

Aftermarket air filters- Cold Air Intakes (CAI) versus the stock air filter. Your not gonna find a better filter for filtration than the stock filter. Not only that, but the stock filter can handle up to 500hp of air flow. Most people put on a CAI to save money in the long run, and the ease of cleaning/replacement. Bling is another reason for a CAI. Air cleaners are a big debate, if I can find a stock set-up for cheap, I'm going back to it. There is no real HP gain from a CAI. If your willing to take a chance with a CAI, you might end up dusting the compressor wheel of the turbo, and having to replace it, so how much did you save with a CAI.

Now onto the performance talk. With the 6.0, you'll want a programmer that is capable of custom tunes that also reprograms the TCM (tran control module). Most go with a SCT device, but there are some others out there like Power Hungry Performance (PHP) Gryphon. What ever you do, don't go with any programmer that has shift on the fly tuning, they don't reprogram the trans enough to handle the extra power that the motor will produce.

As stated by PGreenSVT in the link provided, custom tune writers aren't gonna wrote tunes that will blow your head gaskets. If they did, you would be reading bad reviews on the powerstroke forums. When you are ready for custom tunes, tell the tune writer that your not studded, so they can write you a tune that is safer for your truck. Now just remember, things are bound to happen when you tune, your putting more stress on the motor, so tunes are gonna find the weakest link.

Maintenance is the key to a healthy motor, using a synthetic diesel oil will make your injectors last longer, along with being anal about oil changes in a timely manor. Clean oil will be your best bet for happy injectors.

The Torqueshift trans is pretty strong, again be anal with fluid maintenance.

The powerstroke forums will be your best source of info, read as much as your brain can handle in order to make the best decision for your truck. Over the years, the 6.0 has gotten a bad rap, but with forums like the org and aftermarket companies, the issues can be resolved.

Here are a couple of links to get you started, the first one is the 6.0 info manuals. Start with the '03 and read up thru the years in order to get an idea of sensor location and what the parts are.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-08.php

This next one is about bulletproofing a 6.0.
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

Now I can sit here for hours providing links, but I don't have the time. Like I said, start reading up on the .Org. You'll catch on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.