Next step in my build? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 05:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Next step in my build?

Ok guys, i'm trying to decide what I want to do to the 6.0 next. So far i've done studs, gaskets, cooler, EGR delete, '03 turbo. Typical "solution" upgrades. I'm also running Xtreme Street from Innovative. I'm getting the itch for more power! Just wondering what my next step should be? Injectors, bigger turbo, etc. What do you guys think? Forgot to mention i just lifted it too. 8" Superlift, 37" Toyo's, dual bilsteins all around, trac bars, etc.
Lemme hear your suggestions!

Thanks!
Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 05:36 AM
one day at a time

Might want to re-gear first, but then...

Fuel system, injectors, turbo, and tranny in that order.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:45 AM
Premium Member

I have another thread right now about re-gearing. I'm getting close to talking myself into it. Nothing too drastic. Probably 4.30's.
What would you suggest fuel system wise? This is my daily driver right now. What would 190's and a Powermax be like compared to what I have now?

Jeremy
Old 10-09-2011, 03:32 AM
one day at a time

4:30 gears sound good for 37's.

If you want to do it as cheap as possible I'd go with an airdog 2, might want to look at upgraded banjo bolts too. You can regulate fuel pressure right at the pump on the airdog. Don't know if you'd need to mess with anything like fuel springs, etc on the secondary fuel filter housing... My system is different. I have the original airdog and an ITP reg. return.

Also get an in cab fuel pressure gauge if you don't have one yet. I should have put this in my last post. Very important if you have large injectors. With a set of 190's and a powermax you're probably looking at an honest 100 rwhp bump from where you're at now.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

Wow 100HP on top of what I have now would be great! You install your Airdog yourself? Pretty simple? Thanks for the help man!
Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 AM
The Silent Service

How much power are you looking to make? I would regear to either 4.30's if its mainly a DD/Off Road truck, and 4.56 - 4.88 if you tow with it.

155cc Injectors, stock fuel, and your '03 turbo will put you around 475HP.

175cc Injectors, aftermarket pump, and the '03 turbo will put you just over 500HP, a little more if you switch to a Powermax Turbo. This would be the limit I'd run if you tow, and the 175's will need to be tuned down on the tow file. Also this would be the limit I'd build if a new/rebuilt transmission isn't in your future plans.

For 190cc Injectors, and aftermarket pump will tax the stock turbo and the transmission. I'd definitely step up to the Powermax at this power level, and be ready to build the transmission. This set up will put you around 550HP, and is pretty reliable.

If you are looking for more power than that, you're looking at more cash shelled out in supporting mods.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

I tow very little. Occasional boat, load of ATV's, bobcat, etc. Not even once a month. So I'm fairly certain I'm going to stick with 4.30's.
Powerwise, honestly I would like ~500. I don't want more than that because like you said I want it reliable. I've been told that a stock truck with the Xtreme Street tune alone can put down a solid 400HP. How accurate is that? If that's true and that's what I have now, 500HP will be plenty!

Jeremy
Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 AM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg2500HD View Post
I tow very little. Occasional boat, load of ATV's, bobcat, etc. Not even once a month. So I'm fairly certain I'm going to stick with 4.30's.
Powerwise, honestly I would like ~500. I don't want more than that because like you said I want it reliable. I've been told that a stock truck with the Xtreme Street tune alone can put down a solid 400HP. How accurate is that? If that's true and that's what I have now, 500HP will be plenty!

Jeremy
A good running stock truck with Xtreme street or Xtreme race will easily put down a solid 400 hp number. You might be just under that with the big tires though. They rob a lot of power.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg2500HD View Post
I have another thread right now about re-gearing. I'm getting close to talking myself into it. Nothing too drastic. Probably 4.30's.
What would you suggest fuel system wise? This is my daily driver right now. What would 190's and a Powermax be like compared to what I have now?

Jeremy
I would do the power mods first before regearing it. I know at the moment it seems a little slower with the big tires but 100 more HP will turn those tires pretty easy. I'm doing exactly what your doing. Just a little head start on ya.
Just my 2 cent though. If you adjust the revs/mile the the truck still drives great. If you did tow a bunch though then I'd gear it.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzyt517 View Post
I would do the power mods first before regearing it. I know at the moment it seems a little slower with the big tires but 100 more HP will turn those tires pretty easy. I'm doing exactly what your doing. Just a little head start on ya.
Just my 2 cent though. If you adjust the revs/mile the the truck still drives great. If you did tow a bunch though then I'd gear it.
Tried that man. My SCT will only go down to 600 revs per mile. With my 37's i'm roughly at 540-550 revs per mile.

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.