Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

gauges?

788 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Rick C 
#1 ·
i have read alot on here about the insight and sct monitors but i can't find exactly what i'm looking for.
i want to monitor the engine oil pressure not the hpop -just installed new oil cooler,egr delete and hpop so i don't care what pressure it has because when it went out it wouldn't crank its kinda a no brainer if the hpop is working runs fine if not runs like crap and won't crank
next i want to see what temp the coolant is
and least of all is the tranny temp
i don't care how much boost, what the egts are or rpm "they have tachs in the dash"
the truck is bone stock and is going to stay that way
i just would like to see the oil pressure and coolant temp
but would take all the other stuff if i could get a simple install with what i want
does this make any sense?

#2 ·
Are you asking which monitor to go with or what is most important to monitor (EOT,ECT,trans,boost,HPOP)?

Sorry, just confused! LOL!

#3 · (Edited)
440...my best suggestion is to get an Edge Insight with the EAS expansion cable. Then you can add an oil pressure gauge, pyro, fuel pressure etc. It is actually worth the investment. It will alow you to monitor FICM voltage, read and clear codes. I am of the opinion that these trucks need to have the EGT monitored if you tow and not all may share this view. This gauge setup gives you the most bang for your buck. A Scan Gauge 2 is good but limited to PID readings only. Analog gauges will add up cost wise and will not let you monitor critical electronic data at all. Just my 0.02.

On edit...this setup is probably the most easy install that will let you achieve what you are trying to do. I ran the cableing up the a pillar and used the supplied suction cup mount to place it up as high as poss. I rarely use my visor and can still angle it to get relief if necessary. The hook up is a main cable from the OBDII port and one from under the hood. The Insight will monitor as many as 8 parameters at once and are easily changed.

#4 ·
rick that sounds good ,
i was wondering could i plug in a oil pressure gauge to the insight ,i guess it takes an adapter to keep the factory gauge and plug in a elect. sending unit in the same port because the factory gauge is just a switch psi or no psi

#5 ·
This has not been a big priority for me, (prob should be) but I think there may be a test port, but if not it would require an adaptor. If you do a search on this site you probably could find the info. The EAS cable will allow a number of pressure inputs and Edge has the transducer setups. All you need is to adapt them to your specific needs. It's not cheap but it is high quality and makes for a clean install. At minimum, you should monitor or be able to monitor EOT, ECT, EGT, Fuel Pressure (I think DieselSite has this adaptor allready made up for the FP test port), Volts and FICM voltage. I typically also monitor ICP and fan speed. If you go to the Edge web site you can find out more on the Insight. You can also use it to adjust for tire size on spedometer correction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.