DIY gears - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 05:49 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY gears

Anybody got any info of changing gears yourself? I've always done my own work (lifts, tranny rebuilds, etc). i just put an 8" lift and 37's on my SuperDuty and I want some of my power back. Was thinking 4.30's. Anybody know of any articles or writeups that will help?

Thanks!
Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
done it myself many times. It is my least favorite job, and I am a mechanic also. You must have a press to press the rear bearings on and off the carrier. Its painful but do-able. Tons of gear ratio calculator on the net, google search "gear calculator" 4.56s be closest match to stock, but 4.30s may suite your needs better.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Premium Member

I figured it would be a little bit of a hassle. But it would save SO much money! Know of any write ups or how to's?

Jeremy
Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 PM

if you have a dana rear forget about it....i rebuilt my dana 80, and it was so freaking horrible! ive done several 8.8's and other rears with a crush collar set up, but those damm dana's and there frigging shim packs for pinion pre-load, shims behint bearing races, more dumb shi' like that....F them!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Spend the 700 and have someone do it. By the stuff yourself from someone like Randys Ring and Pinion. Not the best thing to try if you have no experience with it. Because if your shims are off or your angles or bearing are not in it is not fixable you gernade the whole thing. Then have to buy it all over.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the help guys! I'm still kind of wanting to do it myself, but i'm going to call around to a few places and get some quotes.

Jeremy
Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have did my own gear swaps on both a dana 60 and a dana 44 a couple of years ago with the help from my uncle who is a diesel mechanic. It's not that it is really hard to do as it is just very tedious to get everything shimed right with the proper preload on the bearings. I am all about doing stuff yourself and if you have the equipment that jetjock said you need and want to try it then do it. But it may just be more cost effective and less headache for you to just buy the gears you want with the install kit you want and take everything to someone and have them do it and have them warranty it. Just saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.