EGR Blockoff / Replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Blockoff / Replacement

I have an '04 with a manual transmission. I had a mechanic run the diagnostics to check things and everything is fine. He suggested replacing the EGR valve with one modified with plates blocking off the ends (looks factory), replacing the oil cooler (while in there) for $1700 and adding an SCT tuner. I saw the block off plate at elitedieselengineering.com. What is the difference? Thank you in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Welcome to the Org!!

The block off plate only prevents hot exhaust gases from entering the intake, but if your EGR cooler decides to rupture, you'll still get coolant into the cylinder and may cause the headbolts to stretch.

For the price of elites block off plate, you can buy a Dicad solutions full EGR delete if you can get away with emissions testing in your state. The other option (more pricey) if your concerned about being emission legal would be a EGR cooler from Bullet Proof Diesel, there EGR coolers are a lot more stronger than stock.

You should also be concerned about a gauge/monitor solution. Here is a good start for newbies.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

If your mechanic found nothing wrong, why does he want to replace the oil cooler?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The truck has 96,000 on it and getting 14 mpg so I had him check it out. I asked about the EGR to get ahead of the problem I am gonna have. His solution was inline with what everyone else is saying about deleting it. In his opinion after doing his delete, there will be no need for a head gasket. He has done a ton of these EGRs and only 10 head gasket jobs (none after the delete.) He said that while he is in there replacing the EGR that putting a new oil cooler on was a good idea but not required.
I read the link and it is a good read. I have been looking at gauges and I know that you get what you pay for. I know the ISSPRO is good, but I am always looking for suggestions.
Thanks again
Old 10-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The way you describes what he is going to do, it sounds like he is either going to weld the ends shut on the cooler, or use a blocker plate and EGR valve plug. Either one is effective at keeping out exhaust and coolant from entering the intake.

I just don't see the point in replacing the oil cooler if it isn't blocked (waste of your money). This is where a monitor/gauge solution comes in handy to check the ECT/EOT delta to determine if the oil cooler is blocked.

Analog gauges like the ISSOPRO are nice, but have you also looked at the Edge INSIGHT CS/CTS or ScangaugeII. You'll get more bang for the buck with a monitor solution like the ScangaugeII or Insight CS/CTS.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i tig weld stainless plugs in alot of coolers. i would suggest getting a rundown of what/how he plans on blocking off ends. nothing wrong with doing that way as long as it is sealed correctly. as far as scanning diagnostics make sure he knows what he should be scanning. a couple of things i do for my customers when doing the basic egr job is to clean the turbo while it is off and resolder FICM connections.they are already removed. your fuel milege/power should increase significantly after these things are done.you are on the best site for the trucks. take your time and research.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will take a longer look at both of them. A friend is a Banks dealer and will get me anything at wholesale. I saw the Banks IQ which looks cool but Im not sure about the mounting options.
Another friend sold his ford and will give me an SCT tuner for free with 3 tunes (economy, tow, and oh my God) but I want gauges/monitor first and probably do the EGR cooler. The mechanic welds the ends closed. He showed me one of them he has prepared and it looked like a good job. The $1700 price included a new oil cooler not sure what the price is without the cooler. Does this sound like a fair price?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

egr delete...

Hey just had my 06 in the shop for blown headgasket... i went ahead did the egr delet kit and the arp head studs.... after being out a truck for 4 weeks i get it back only to make it half mile form the shop when it starts barreling white smoke out of it...i took it back... next day guy calls back says it was smoking becasue the water seperator was fulll??? any thoughts... so i go back tonight pick it up get it home only to have it start smoking white smoke again... but only at idle and very minimal...any thoughts... so very upset i start climbing around... and noticed that the egr valve is still in and still pluged in...Now mind you i did by a delete kit from rivercity diesel and it did come with a cap plate.....Lol all the other parts seem to be installed.... with the egr beign deleted and the valve still being in place have anything to do with it smoking white slightly.... the coolant tank is not preasurizing and the exhast fuems do not smell like coolant however they are very strong with diesel smell... Any thoughts on any of this before i come unglued?????lolro
Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Look at my egr block link. Ask if you have any questions.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Powerstroke Techie

White smoke smells like fuel--- when they did the headgaskets, were the heads sent to a automotive machine shop to be checked for flatness, cracks, and pressure tested.

A cracked head by the injector cups can cause white smoke fuel smell.

Another possibility could be, when they were reinstalling the injectors the lower o-ring got damaged and the injector didn't seat all the way down, allowing fuel into the cylinder.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesci96 View Post
I will take a longer look at both of them. A friend is a Banks dealer and will get me anything at wholesale. I saw the Banks IQ which looks cool but Im not sure about the mounting options.
Another friend sold his ford and will give me an SCT tuner for free with 3 tunes (economy, tow, and oh my God) but I want gauges/monitor first and probably do the EGR cooler. The mechanic welds the ends closed. He showed me one of them he has prepared and it looked like a good job. The $1700 price included a new oil cooler not sure what the price is without the cooler. Does this sound like a fair price?

Thanks again for the help.
1700 is ok in my opinion if it is a grade A job.
1 some type of gaurantee
2 includes all parts and fluids (good oil and filter,cat-1 elc,)
3 make sure he does a good cooling system flush with vc-9
4 will he clean turbo with that price?
5 check into FICM upgrade/mods while it is off.
6 good time to check/change serp belt while he's there.

again that is a fair price for good clean work. i would do them for that all day.
a good monitor is something to have and the sct you got was a great score.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
egr delete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.