SCT tuner questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT tuner questions

I have been running edge juice w/attitude for several years and wanying to change to the SCT livewire. Does it just plug in and it is ready to go like the edge or are there other things you have to do to get it to work? Can you switch from one tune to another while driving and does the livewire monitor parameters like the attitude or would I need another set of gauges? I am running pretty much stock other than AFE intake, upgraded fuel pressure spring and as of this past weekend EGR delete. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
The sct does not shift ont he fly... im glad your getting rid of that juice.. it has no trans tuning and its pretty bad for your truck..

on the other hand i would highly recommend going with something else like a X3 with edge insight CTS or CS... the livewire is a very old outdated unit... if you had to have a all in 1 unit i recommend the SCT touchscreen.

this is what i recommend SCT X3 Custom Innovative Diesel Tuning/ Edge CTS combo
Old 10-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Personally since you already have the edge you should just get an x3 or sf3 but yes the livewire just plugs like your edge and it has gauges but honestly I dont know if its switch on the fly or not but I have heard way more people being unhappy with the livewire compared to the xcal or x3 or sf3
Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I thought the livewire was the newer version from sct since it had the monitor, shows what I know. The $900 for the combo mentioned above is a little more than I was wanting to spend but I need to do something to try to get some mileage out of this truck. It only averages about 14mpg. What tunes would you reccomend for daily driving. I usually leave the edge in the 50hp setting and am used to the added power but would like to gain mpg as well if it is possible.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:42 PM

No need to get the livewire... The x3 does the same thing for less money and the monitor like raul said is outdated... You can't run the attitude you have with the sct the computer won't let that happen... Do what Raul said and get yourself an x3 with custom tunes and an edge cts or cs... You can find good deals on an sct on eBay and around the forums... Pay a little for the custom tunes and I haven't looked at the price of a cts or cs lately but it can't be much more than 300 maybe less.. So if you stay patient you could have a reliabe set up for 200-250 (x3 tuner), 100 (custom tune or 2 depending on who you use), and 300 for the cts or
cs (gauges)... So 600-700 bucks and you are set... And believe me and everyone else who will follow saying the same thing... Your truck will thank you. Good luck with it all.. Lots of good help around here.. No matter what definitely ditch the attitude
Old 10-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Well I will chime in for the Livewire. Works great cannot change on the fly, but you can monitor anything off it. Get the one with EGT probe and you will love it. It is a bit bulky but other than that it is awsome, and easy install. I would not trade mine out, something goes wrong or there is a issue one MFG to deal with for one call not 2 companies.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
I thought the livewire was the newer version from sct since it had the monitor, shows what I know. The $900 for the combo mentioned above is a little more than I was wanting to spend but I need to do something to try to get some mileage out of this truck. It only averages about 14mpg. What tunes would you reccomend for daily driving. I usually leave the edge in the 50hp setting and am used to the added power but would like to gain mpg as well if it is possible.
no the livewire is very old... the new one is the touchscreen.. which by the time you add the egt probe kit your at pretty much the same price as the X3 and cts combo...

you could always go with the CS which is 100 dollars cheaper:

i recommend anything from here: 6.0L Tuning + Gauge combo's
Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have been reading alot about the sct's and reflashing. Should I take the edge off of my truck and have it flashed by a dealer before installing the sct?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
I have been reading alot about the sct's and reflashing. Should I take the edge off of my truck and have it flashed by a dealer before installing the sct?
IIRC, there hasn't been issues when switching from Edge to SCT, only need to reflash when going from Bully Dog to SCT.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokepower View Post
No need to get the livewire... The x3 does the same thing for less money and the monitor like raul said is outdated... You can't run the attitude you have with the sct the computer won't let that happen... Do what Raul said and get yourself an x3 with custom tunes and an edge cts or cs... You can find good deals on an sct on eBay and around the forums... Pay a little for the custom tunes and I haven't looked at the price of a cts or cs lately but it can't be much more than 300 maybe less.. So if you stay patient you could have a reliabe set up for 200-250 (x3 tuner), 100 (custom tune or 2 depending on who you use), and 300 for the cts or
cs (gauges)... So 600-700 bucks and you are set... And believe me and everyone else who will follow saying the same thing... Your truck will thank you. Good luck with it all.. Lots of good help around here.. No matter what definitely ditch the attitude
Off topic but what tune do you like best on your truck between SRL, X-Race and Looney?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.