Another which intake... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another which intake...

When I bought my truck it had a K&N Cold air intake.. I want to get something that filters better, should I go with another intake or go with a stock unit? It seems that price for price I can get either a used stock air-box or buy another intake. Thoughts on best filtration ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 03:19 PM
information regurgitator

The stock filter is the very same style of filter used by Hospitals because it can filter out airborne bacteria. The stock filter filters to 99.97% efficiency down to 0.03 microns having at least a 3-1 aspect ratio (for intents and purposes, 0.03 micron rating).
That style filter is also used by Asbestos Removers, Lead Paint Removers and even in Nuclear Power plants. It stops Asbestos fibers, lead dust and radioactive particles.
This style of filter is known as a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter.
There is no better filter.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

That is some pretty good information NYC.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkidd View Post
That is some pretty good information NYC.
Agreed. My filter box is broken, so I was thinking of just getting a different intake instead of buying a new box. Now I guess I won't.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
now sure how much a new OEM box will cost but if it costs over 200 your better off getting an aftermarket intake for just a lil bit more...
Old 10-03-2011, 10:57 AM

It just doesn't shut all the way in the back. I've not priced them though.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronisonce View Post
When I bought my truck it had a K&N Cold air intake.. I want to get something that filters better, should I go with another intake or go with a stock unit? It seems that price for price I can get either a used stock air-box or buy another intake. Thoughts on best filtration ?
I think both Afe and S&B have filters that will fit on your K&N piping.....that should give you the better filtration you are looking for with less cost than a whole intake.

Just remember if your going to run an aftermarket filter you might need to run shorter service intervals......thats why I always have a clean spare filter with me in the truck.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
The stock filter is the very same style of filter used by Hospitals because it can filter out airborne bacteria. The stock filter filters to 99.97% efficiency down to 0.03 microns having at least a 3-1 aspect ratio (for intents and purposes, 0.03 micron rating).
That style filter is also used by Asbestos Removers, Lead Paint Removers and even in Nuclear Power plants. It stops Asbestos fibers, lead dust and radioactive particles.
This style of filter is known as a HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter.
There is no better filter.
I think if I was driving through any of that the last thing I would be worried about is how my motor breathes.......
Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would look into getting a new filter that fits the intake you already have. Like alwil mentioned AFE and S&B make filters that are direct replacements for K&N intake systems. An AFE pro-guard 7 or S&B filter mated with your existing K&N piping would be the best bang for buck! That is exactly what I have done with my truck, I was given an Airaid intake but it didn't have the filter, I found an S&B filter with the right dimensions and put it in the Airaid box. Here is a link to the S&B filter I'm talking about.

F-Series 6.0L (03-07)
Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwil View Post
I think if I was driving through any of that the last thing I would be worried about is how my motor breathes.......
The point was that the air coming through that filter and entering your engine is quite a bit cleaner than the air you are breathing right now.
Clean intake air = cleaner internal engine parts, less wear, longer lasting engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.