actual EGTs/power gained from cat removal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
actual EGTs/power gained from cat removal

I know, this is one of those dead horse topics but I have been searching and doing research and am still up in the air. Here is the deal, my truck is still under warranty (its an 07). Im wanting to get an exhaust but I am wanting to either leave the cat or get a turbo back that has the option to put the cat back in. This is to avoid any hassle at the dealership. The problem Im facing is finding actual numbers that show the difference with/without the cat installed with an aftermarket exhaust. The more I read, the more I'm hearing the cat is really not that restrictive and that removing it really doesnt help with EGTs or mileage much. Its mainly in the muffler. (especially on the later model trucks like mine due to an improved bend in the downpipe or something). Im leaning heavily towards just purchasing a cat back. I just dont see the point in buying a full turbo back with the removable cat option, if removing it doesnt warrant getting under there to take it out in the first place. Some may say well it doesnt take that long, but hell why fix it if its not broke right? Any thoughts from people who have been down this road? Seriously not to piss anyone off or step on any toes, but I would like to hear from people who have actually done this. I know lots of people just read it and say oh yea get the whole thing its better, without having any actual first hand experience with it. thanks a lot of any of your replies.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
who ever told you that is go turboback and never look back.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:36 AM

I choose to get delete pipes so that I can keep more low end than a 4" system, and I can put the parts back on when I need to.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm not a ford warranty god, but in my opinion a catless turboback exhaust should not void your warranty. The only trouble you may run into is if you truck is in for a smoke concern, then the exhaust could be the scapegoat instead of finding the actual problem
Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 AM

My delete pipes never got the dealership in a fuss.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
I choose to get delete pipes so that I can keep more low end than a 4" system, and I can put the parts back on when I need to.
yes, I was going to go that route, but Im wanting a muffler. I dont want the drone of no muffler while going 70 down the interstate. I'm guessing no one sells just a direct bolt in replacement muffler since what I am describing is pretty much a catback. If they did I would probably go that route. I guess I could buy a 4" muffler and have the shop expand the stock pipe and weld it in place.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 AM

cat back vs turbo back. ive done it. go turbo back the restriction is in the cat not the muffler. the muffler does some yes but not nearly as much as the cat. it takes all of 10 mins to pull a cat off if you taking the rest of it off anyways. when you do look down through the cat and tell me that its not restrictive. and talk about an egt drop. i could hit 1600* by 4th gear with the stock system on. i bought the turbo back system that kept the stock cat in place. i gutted the cat and now i dont even see 1600*. well worth the turbo back anyways. if you go all out (get an aluminized system much cheaper and still works just fine) you wont wonder if the other system would have been better you will know that you got the top notch one and that its performing better than anything
Old 10-02-2011, 12:02 PM

I have no drone what so ever with my delete pipes. I also have my exhasut exit at a 45* angle.

When I put my cat BACK on to smog the truck, the low end jumped back up, it was funny to feel more of a snap with the low end response.

with my delete pipes, egr system blocked adn my IDP "street" tune. I can not pass 1,400* in any driving situation under 3,000 feet altitude.

Last edited by smokersteve; 10-02-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:47 PM

i love how you guys make it so easy to figure out what to do... seriously thanks for the replies, Ill chew on it a while and see which way I want to go.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I had cat back exhaust that I had the dealer install when the truck was ordered. I wanted more whistle and louder exhaust so I bought 4" turbo back with no muffler. Drone isn't bad at all. The only time I really get a drone is on the cold winter days as the truck is warming up. The catback is basically not worth it. For almost the same price u can get the full turbo back. Only plus of the catback is you get a little more rumble or bark from the 6.0. The muffler isn't that restrictive I think. It's the cat. Diesel catalytic converters aren't worth as much used because they burn so hot and get plugged with diesel soot, especially if running a tune.so that soot buildup is definitely restrictive and creates higher egt's. If you don't have to worry about emission testing then go turbo back no cat and a flow through muffler and you will be grinning ear to ear when you hear it. Diamond eye has a 4" down pipe while mbrp has a 3.5" down pipe then 4" after the tranny crossmember I believe. They say with the 4" down pipe u lose a little bottom end but I didn't really feel it. Tuning gets all that power and lots more back anyway. If your still on the wall about it just get the delete pipes. I bought the cat delete pipe for our 04 f450 off eBay for 50 something and the muffler delete is about 70 so 120 and you have straight pipe exhaust. If you don't like it. Throw the cat back on and sell the delete pipe on here for same price ya bought it for. Then you will have a cat back straight pipe. Problem solved. Let me know if ya have any more questions. Exhaust is my favorite upgrade for the 6.0. Custom tuning being next. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.