Straight pipe and warranty. Unanswered question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Straight pipe and warranty. Unanswered question

I have read all the posts about this but I cant seem to find the answer i'm looking for. I have an aftermarket exhaust, 4 inch turboback, no cat, just muffler. I've had plenty of warranty work done with no problems. Mechanic even complimented me on the sound of it. If I delete the muffler does this change anything or am I in the clear cause I have had work done with no cat already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Premium Member

As far as I know a dealer can NOT void your warranty for aftermarket work/modifications. If you have a problem, they can not refuse warranty work on it unless they can prove the modification caused the problem. Somebody posted the actual law reference here lately, can't remember where...Try searching for it
Old 10-01-2011, 05:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg_064 View Post
As far as I know a dealer can NOT void your warranty for aftermarket work/modifications. If you have a problem, they can not refuse warranty work on it unless they can prove the modification caused the problem. Somebody posted the actual law reference here lately, can't remember where...Try searching for it
And if they did what would you do?
Do you have the money to fight Ford?

Sent from my Desire HD
Old 10-01-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louidoui View Post
I have read all the posts about this but I cant seem to find the answer i'm looking for. I have an aftermarket exhaust, 4 inch turboback, no cat, just muffler. I've had plenty of warranty work done with no problems. Mechanic even complimented me on the sound of it. If I delete the muffler does this change anything or am I in the clear cause I have had work done with no cat already?

If you still had warranty with the aftermarket muffler you should still have it without

Sent from my Desire HD
Old 10-01-2011, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwil View Post
And if they did what would you do?
Do you have the money to fight Ford?
I'm sure there's plenty of avenues to try before having to go into a legal battle. The Dealership isn't FMC, so you could push the issue up the chain to FMC or maybe see if another dealership would abide by the laws. And sometimes, persistence works; Can often get people to do their jobs just so they don't have to see/hear you everyday that their not doing it.

Come on now, I stated the fact of the matter and your answer was just, 'they should if they already did work with mods'.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:35 AM

Im pretty sure the law is the Magnuson moss act. But it states that the dealer can not void warranty with parts that are carb certified for street legal use. Unless they can prove that the added part caused the damage somehow. If emission components are removed they can deny you warranty work no matter what the cause or problem is. I don't think you will have a problem with removing the muffler since they have already been working on it with out a cat.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App
Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked6.0 View Post
Im pretty sure the law is the Magnuson moss act. But it states that the dealer can not void warranty with parts that are carb certified for street legal use. Unless they can prove that the added part caused the damage somehow. If emission components are removed they can deny you warranty work no matter what the cause or problem is. I don't think you will have a problem with removing the muffler since they have already been working on it with out a cat.

That's what I thought too man. Thanks. Heck the mechanic even asked me, he said is thing straight piped, I said no cat and he's like yeah I love that sounds awesome. Dunno why he couldn't have figured out on his own considering hed been workin on it but hell ill take it!
Old 10-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked6.0 View Post

I stand corrected then...only about half right
Old 10-01-2011, 06:54 AM

Well I am just trying to remember it but im pretty sure that is the general idea of it.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:38 AM
Premium Member

Just so there's no confusion, I was saying I was only about half right and that you seem to be the correct one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.