up and coming list - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
up and coming list

Just got my egr delete installed, sct w/ egr probe, and 4" straight pipe turbo back installed.. it only puffs a tiny bit of smoke on performance tune, which i've established is pretty good (effiency wise).. trying to build a solid truck more w/ efficiency in mind but always have the hp itch..

my question is because its barely puffing i'm assuming its getting enough air, so the next step is attack the fuel system? would an airdog be a good next buy, from what i've read it won't attack my fuel mileage at all.

And is a bigger tranny cooler a good idea? will it reduce the chance of blowing it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 AM
information regurgitator

Before dropping the cash for an airdog, drop the cash on a fuel pressure gauge so yo uknow where you are now. Should the fuel pressure drop below 45psi, under any condition, injector damage will result.

The stock trans cooler is quite sufficient for anything you will throw its way. Add a trans fluid gauge to your truck if you plan on towing heavy. The typical "running around town" temp won't even break the 165F mark. I believe that Fords' upper limit is somewhere in the 260F range for this trans. You are unlikely to see that.

The bottom line is you need gauges...period. The four absolute minimum gauges you need:
Engine oil temp
engine coolant temp
trans fluid temp
fuel pressure

The livewire might be able to watch three out of those 4, since there are stock gauges in the engine for them. You will need to add a fuel pressure gauge on your own.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would also throw EGT's in there as something that should be monitored, especially when towing with a tune.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 AM

thanks for the idea, i'll get a fuel guage first. evil eye I have the egr probe for my livewire.. although so far not much a fan of the guage set up on it... wish i just bought the regular tuner
Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 AM

any suggestions on the gauge?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 AM
information regurgitator

Edge CTS for the electronic style, ISSPRO EV2's for the things you can't monitor electronically.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.sampson View Post
Just got my egr delete installed, sct w/ egr probe, and 4" straight pipe turbo back installed.. it only puffs a tiny bit of smoke on performance tune, which i've established is pretty good (effiency wise).. trying to build a solid truck more w/ efficiency in mind but always have the hp itch..

my question is because its barely puffing i'm assuming its getting enough air, so the next step is attack the fuel system? would an airdog be a good next buy, from what i've read it won't attack my fuel mileage at all.

And is a bigger tranny cooler a good idea? will it reduce the chance of blowing it up?
Which tune are you running? I run a Extreme Street from eric and I can roll coal like crazy and we pretty much have the same mods. But it does matter what temp it is outside, lately its been 100+ here in tx, lower the them, the more oxygen in it then your fuel is more utilized.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:37 AM

im in maine and its been about 70, but i'm just running the canned performance tune.. having trouble adjusting my tranny right, it either shifts perfect (high rpm and solid shift) or its like it cant decide where to shift and i have a half second of praying something doesnt snap
Old 09-30-2011, 03:40 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan.sampson View Post
im in maine and its been about 70, but i'm just running the canned performance tune.. having trouble adjusting my tranny right, it either shifts perfect (high rpm and solid shift) or its like it cant decide where to shift and i have a half second of praying something doesnt snap
Get yourself some custom tunes. They are way better than canned tunes.

Whenever you load a tunes from a SCT (canned or custom), you need to drive around for a little bit without beating the snot out of it. The trans needs time to relearn.

Make sure you have the Revs Per Mile set right.
Tire Revs Per Mile
Old 10-02-2011, 04:39 PM

the sct i got used came with a spartan hybrid race tune, not sure if its the right strategy code but it seems a lot stronger than the canned tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.