6.0 parts questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 parts questions

So I have a lot of ideas, some good and some bad I'm sure.. So I want to know some of your opinions..

I am going to tackle the EGR delete and put a new oil cooler in this winter, I am also thinking I will pull the heads and do new gaskets and studs also..

Here goes my questions- Is it worth removing the silencing ring from the turbo, does it do anything other than make noise?

-Is it worth an upgrade to the 03 turbo I have heard about and seen?
-Are any EGR delete kits better than others? Is it cheaper, easier to make my own?
-While I have the heads off, is decking the heads and O-ringing them worth it?

Thanks guys.. Let the opinions fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I'd just do a coolant filter, oil cooler, ELC swap, and EGR delete. I wouldn't do head studs until you have issues, unless you plan on upgrading injectors and turbo soon.

Silencer ring removal is pointless unless you have an '03 turbo, and even then the sound gain is minimal.

'03 turbos sound great, and if you go that route I'd throw a Batmowheel in it and give the turbo a good cleaning before installation.

I'd recommend GoGo, Sinister, or FCDP's EGR delete.

Decking the heads will be required if you pull them, but I'd skip the O-Ringing, as the 6.0L does just fine without them.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 PM

ELC swap? Would an external oil cooler be beneficial?
I have no plans on bigger turbo at this time, and injectors only if I need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
I'd just do a coolant filter, oil cooler, ELC swap, and EGR delete. I wouldn't do head studs until you have issues, unless you plan on upgrading injectors and turbo soon.

Silencer ring removal is pointless unless you have an '03 turbo, and even then the sound gain is minimal.

'03 turbos sound great, and if you go that route I'd throw a Batmowheel in it and give the turbo a good cleaning before installation.

I'd recommend GoGo, Sinister, or FCDP's EGR delete.

Decking the heads will be required if you pull them, but I'd skip the O-Ringing, as the 6.0L does just fine without them.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ELC= Extended Life Coolant, silicate free EC-1 CAT

If your gonna do an external oil cooler, this is the one you want.
http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/category_s/27.htm
Old 09-26-2011, 07:05 PM

Ahhhh ok!

And the oil cooler, I was just going to make my own kit.. Use the big B&M heavy duty trans cooler, braided hose.. put an inline filter in it.. That's not hard to make.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Have you seen what's involved and where the oil cooler is located at, if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.

Our oil system can require up to 18gpm flow, by the time you buy all the 3/4" hose, AN fittings, big oil cooler, filter head that can handle the flow, the fabrication/machine work needed, you could almost buy the BPD oil cooler.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Also want to mention, if you delete the factory oil cooler for an external cooler, you will need to find a way for the coolant side of the oil cooler to flow, and need to figure out a way to hold down the HPOP screen because the stock oil cooler holds the screen down.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by LREhp View Post
Ahhhh ok!

And the oil cooler, I was just going to make my own kit.. Use the big B&M heavy duty trans cooler, braided hose.. put an inline filter in it.. That's not hard to make.
You've got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe after you are done doing that, you can get yourself a chunk of billet and whittle yourself a bigger turbo.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:50 AM

Maybe I failed to mention what I do for a living. I work at a race shop building engines and race cars, I may be a "newb" to diesels and diesel performance. However, where I work I got boxes of every size braided hose, every angle and color of hose end and pipe fitting you can think of.
I'm glad you brought up the billet thing also, because I have access to one of the best machinists in the midwest. And the shop behind me does CNC work, and has 3 haas CNC's..

I don't mean to come off arrogant, but I am definitely not an average joe in his garage with a pair of channel locks and a claw hammer.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:10 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Well then, let me provide you with some links to get you started with ideas.
DIY Oil Cooler Delete with Bypass Filter

http://www.acetroncorp.com/psd.htm

If you search the net, you'll find a couple more. Just be sure to do your research on what's needed before you start cutting stuff up. If you live in a cold weather climate, you might want to consider BPD thermostat/bypass valve.

If you don't mind, can you document your project. You might give me some new ideas.

Thanks, Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.