True twin turbos? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
True twin turbos?

Any of you guys runnin' compounds have any idea how this would work?

I only ask because I have read people asking about using two stockers and that would be way too big to spool.

Could something around the 30-40mm range do the job? I would figure those would be small enough for each side of the engine to spin up pretty good. I also would assume the intake manifold would have to be something like the banks big hoss seperating each intake tract.

Just asking like someone would with more money than sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
They do make kits for the 6.0.... I have tunes from innovated kinda why i picked their set up to run when I eventually cross over to the other side. I dont think you could use to stock turbos. to bigg and no way to control vaines on both. Here is a link to the kit. They have race and tow versions.

Ford 6.0L Compound Turbo Kit
Old 09-22-2011, 04:23 PM

There was a car with a 6.0 in it in diesel power couple issues back that had true twins on it. I think they were 52mms from a porsche or somthing
Old 09-22-2011, 04:25 PM

I think he means a bi-turbo setup instead of compounds. Could be interesting...
Old 09-22-2011, 04:28 PM

why? the piping alone for the manifolds would be stupid-crazy (and tight). then theres the matter of two wastegates, getting them balanced and set the same. then the cold side piping- two intercoolers or a huge single core with dual inlets. Oil lines, oil drain lines coolant feed and return lines, ALL X 2. then converging the two down pipes. finding space for two air filters and/or piping. all that gear in such an impossibly sized space is destined for heat issues. all for no increase in performance over a well balanced compound setup
Old 09-22-2011, 04:30 PM

Probably mainly because nobody's done it in a SD before. Compounds are slick, but they're pretty commonplace in the aftermarket. Innovation is bred by daring to be different.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:32 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why not try what sts has done and mount the stuff under the truck. There is plenty of room. I am not saying mount the turbos at the back and have 2 miles of piping ran, but around the area where the tranny meets the engine.

Why would there be no increase in performance? A compound setup works great for what it is but, 2 turbos in series has it's limitations. One trying to suck air through the other and one trying to push air through the other. This setup would eliminate some restrictions compound setups have, in theory of course.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Pointless Poster

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
would it be to far fetched to think you could run a charger off each bank and then have that feed into one big charger. like a triple turbo setup.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 PM

You could setup twins two ways:

1. The way I prefer where you have separate banks on the engine a left bank and right bank of cylinders. You run completely separate intake and exhaust systems. This is the best setup for balancing your turbos and making the most power. It is also the most expensive and time consuming method with tons of custom/modified parts.

2. The second method is to have two turbos each fed by a bank of cylinders on the exhaust side. You can tie the outlets together or leave them seperate. On the boost side you combine your turbo's upstream of the intercooler and you only need to run one waste gate on the boost side. This allows you to only use one MAF sensor and eliminates alot of the custom piping and manifolds. However you can probably make the same horsepower on a compound setup with faster spooling.

Here is a good website for sizing turbo's Borgwarner MatchBot

I did a quick match for a 6.0l running twins. 6.0l twins The calculated outputs are in the first expandable area. As you can see you can make more power with the compounds if you want quick turbo response.

Last edited by Glueballs; 09-22-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Deleted a bracket on one of the links
Old 09-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Isn't the 6.4 turbo setup basically true twins? Same input/output airflow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.