final decision on intake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
final decision on intake

ok so ive been looking ove this website on the intake subject for a while now and i still dont know what to do all i have is a 4 inch turbo back and i know people are gunna pull the stock is good up to 500 hp well im looking for better pick up less lag on take off and a bit better mpg more the better i have been looking a s and b and volant maybe the enclosed afe but heard that some have had no luck with em i did the zoodad and didnt do a thing so will that help with a enclosed filter instead of a k and n style sucking the engine temp air in so please help with my decision and let me kno what your luck has been with intakes thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you wanna go fancy and all, i would do what they call a tymar intake custom open element filter, alot of 7.3 guys have done it, or You Could go with Injen Diesel Intake. I havent personally added one yet but Ive heard really good reviews on the AFE intakes. I know you know the stock intake is good up to 500HP, but in all honesty it is, its just a real pain in the @ZZ to change. First time i did it, it was givin me a roid rage lolol, i was getting so fustrated. The Open element filter will def give you more turbo whistle im sure, but the stocker flows and filters extremely well. What you should do is get a Intake elbow like banks or AFe to replace the stock one. If you really wanna spend the money on and intake, i Like either the Injen/Amsoil one, or the AFE stage 2 pro guard 7 intake.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
S&B is prob the best bang for your buck.... that would be my vote...
Old 09-20-2011, 05:38 AM

S&B or AFE would be about the only two filters besides stock that I would run on my truck.

I don't buy the whole stock is good to 500hp thing either.

Stock will filter the best hands down, but you can't tell me a more open filter isn't going to let more air in. I'd certainly like to see the dyno results to prove this, until then it's just another saying that everyone on the forums follows blindly.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

S&B or AFE get my vote. Dollar for dollar the S&B is tough to beat, but the AFE Stage II kits are very nice.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 AM

I am thinking about keeping the stock intake filter and all and going with the Banks High Ram Intake. It comes with the high ram elbow and a bigger "boost tube" is what they call it and new boots and all. Price on it is about 400 bucks seems like a good way to go to me keep the stock filter that everyone raves about but still opens up the intake past the filter.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:47 AM

Here are some pictures of that set up with the banks high ram intake.
Attached Thumbnails
final decision on intake-ford60l-highram_install.jpg   final decision on intake-6037.jpg  
Old 09-20-2011, 09:57 AM

How much of an improvement do you really think that will make? I might consider putting it on my truck if it was A)given to me for free B)I ground off all of the banks insignia.

I would spend my money elsewhere. For $400 you can get a drop in batmowheel for your stock charger and I guarantee you'd see a much larger improvement over that banks intake elbow and boost tube.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:08 AM

Ill have to look into that batmowheel for our stock turbos. Ive heard of it but not much else besides that.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Those elbows WILL NOT gain you anything. The real airflow restriction is the heads and adding all kinds of flow potential before them doesn't change a thing.

You want less lag, better throttle response, and better mpg's? Have Bill at PHP tune your FICM. It will accomplish all 3 of those things for less than the cost of an intake or an elbow which will accomplish none of the above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.