Evans Waterless Coolant Conversion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 07:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Evans Waterless Coolant Conversion

Ok so I thought I'd get this thread started a little early to get some input from people more knowledgeable in the diesel world.

Objective:
Convert a 6.0l Powerstroke over to waterless coolant. Increase coolant operating temperature and fan on set point.

Known solutions/issues:
Several people are already running Evans with no issues.
Fan on set point can be modified in your custom tune to make use of your high temp coolant.
High temp thermostat is not available to my knowledge.

Proposed solution:
I was thinking of modifying a stock thermostat to incorporate a low profile linear solenoid. The problem with this however is where do we get the trigger from. I was thinking if we wire it into the fan circuit with a resistor/capacitor pair on the lead to the fan. This would be used to delay it by a set period. As a result a thermostat with an adjustable set point would be created.

Feel free to weigh in. I'm still trying to organize my thoughts on this one and have definitely not considered all possibilities / ramifications.

Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've been thinking of switching to Evans+ for some time now. IMO I think it's worth a try. I wouldn't go away from the stock thermostat setup while it may look good on paper why put in something that you have no long term reliability info on? The stock thermostat is super reliable so basically "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd be interested in trying a 205* thermostat if one existed for our trucks that failed open like the current motocraft ones. Unfortunately, there is none available to my knowledge. I wouldnt want it to be electronically controlled though, thats just asking for failure imo
Old 09-12-2011, 08:29 AM

I would not trust an electronically contolled t-stat

JMO tho
Old 09-12-2011, 01:59 PM

I think just raising the fan-on point would be good enough usually, however, using air conditioning seems to override the fan setting, and makes it come on no matter what temperature it is. I know that down here in Texas, where it's been over 100 degrees for 2 months straight, my fan is on constantly, even with coolant temperatures in the 190's. I'm pretty sure it's because my AC is always on max.

If we could just find a 205-210* thermostat that fits our trucks, and is reliable, that would be the easiest way.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:33 PM

quick question what do you gain from running higher coolant temps?
Old 09-13-2011, 06:37 PM

Supposedly you gain efficiency. I don't think it will really affect that much, but I'd be willing to be the test dummy to see for sure XD
Old 09-13-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicion View Post
I think just raising the fan-on point would be good enough usually, however, using air conditioning seems to override the fan setting, and makes it come on no matter what temperature it is. I know that down here in Texas, where it's been over 100 degrees for 2 months straight, my fan is on constantly, even with coolant temperatures in the 190's. I'm pretty sure it's because my AC is always on max.

If we could just find a 205-210* thermostat that fits our trucks, and is reliable, that would be the easiest way.
The likely hood of finding one unless we can get an aftermarket company to make one are slim. That was why I was thinking of an electric thermostat. If we use it to determine the optimal temperature it would be stronger ammunition to get one tested and put into production. I'll probably fiddle around with the idea more after I get all the Mods on my truck.

Also it is to bad about the AC/Fan tie in. If we re-engineered the ac system as a heat pump we could use the coolant as a base temp and run the system off of that. We would get heat in the winter and could get cool air in the summer. The calcs wouldn't be hard but finding a compressor to match probably won't be easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, evans coolant, high temp thermostat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.