Best/easiest way for twin turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 07:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best/easiest way for twin turbo

I have an early model 2004 f250 6.0L, i want a twin set up. I have arp head studs, egr delete, and sct tuner. What is the best way to get a twin set up? I am mainky using my truck for pulling a 5th wheel camper and tracketer trailer. But i want to occasinally be able to take my truck to the strip and run it. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Brett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2011, 07:20 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You are probably going to want a towing setup. Dont worry as you will be able to still put out ~600HP and still tow what you want to. The thing to keep in mind is that twins are SUPER expensive and are hard to install due to the amount of fabrication that is required. I would call innovative diesel as they sell twin turbo kits. You are probably looking at over $6k for the turbo set up, over $3k for injectors and probably $3500, and then you WILL need a heavier duty transmission so add that in there as well. (Probably ~$4K and that is no doubt low) I would say to make sure you are convinced that twins are really for you as you will have A LOT of money into the setup. Hope that helps.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

not exactly true, you can run a stock trans all day, it depends on the tuning. You will need larger injectors but you dont need to go big on a towing setup.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:40 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Sure he could probably get away with a stock transmission if he kept his horse power down in the lower end of the 500HP range but if he has goals that are typical of folks spending the money for twins (i.e. 600-700HP range) then he is going to need a transmission. Otherwise, why would he spend the money for the power he could get out of a powermax that would only cost $1200 and only go after 500HP?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakins49 View Post
I have an early model 2004 f250 6.0L, i want a twin set up. I have arp head studs, egr delete, and sct tuner. What is the best way to get a twin set up? I am mainky using my truck for pulling a 5th wheel camper and tracketer trailer. But i want to occasinally be able to take my truck to the strip and run it. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Brett
What is you're overall HP goal? That's going to play huge into how much your gonna have to spend, and what you're going to need to do.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:52 AM

yes of course it will depend on his horsepower goals, and no he will not at all get the same performance from a powermax, compound chargers will pull a whole lot better, that powermax isn't all that its cracked up to be.

I think a set of 190's and a 62/70 and s474 are a great setup for towing, thats pretty much the Industrial towing twins that Innovative sells. This setup can bring you over 600hp, but it can be a 550hp towing animal. If youre going to be towing and playing with the truck I would highly recommend a built transmission. But you can make the stocker last a while with good tuning and driving smart.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM

if your going to spend the money on twins and everything that takes and you want to use what you just spent the money on you need a built tranny. Then your not always worrying about hurting your tranny every time you want to use your truck. You dont want to be stranded on the side of the road because you thought you could get by with a stock tranny. Yes you could do it in stages and do one then the other but if it were me I would do the tranny first then add the power. I went threw something simular with my build. I wasn't going to get rods because some people said I could get by and maybe they wouldnt go. But I pulled the motor anyway and completely built it up. Just so I dont have to worry all the time about windowing my block.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06powerstroke06 View Post
if your going to spend the money on twins and everything that takes and you want to use what you just spent the money on you need a built tranny. Then your not always worrying about hurting your tranny every time you want to use your truck. You dont want to be stranded on the side of the road because you thought you could get by with a stock tranny. Yes you could do it in stages and do one then the other but if it were me I would do the tranny first then add the power. I went threw something simular with my build. I wasn't going to get rods because some people said I could get by and maybe they wouldnt go. But I pulled the motor anyway and completely built it up. Just so I dont have to worry all the time about windowing my block.
I totally agree.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:52 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
And for the same money or a little more, you could have a semi engine and 12speed under there. No worrying about anything, except the rest of the drivetrain.

In all seriousness though, do not get cheap on this stuff, it just costs more down the road. I have a 64mm batmowheel and s474, and 205's laying in my garage that are going in this winter. I didn't see any mention of diverter valves, you will at least need one on the small charger to help get things spinning.

Now, before any of this, get a flippin' transmission, do the not fun stuff before the oh #### this is scary fast and I can pull the USS Intrepid parts go on.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 PM

i wasnt aware that Bullseye made a 64mm batmo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.