Stacking with Banks bullet - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Stacking with Banks bullet

Whats going on guys. my 6.0 has 225k miles and runs like a champ. I want to squeeze a little more power from the motor and yet be safe with the kind of mileage. after i did the exhaust, it runs and sounds awesome. (read my sig) I just ordered a banks bullet last night and from reading it is only a fueling module. what else can i stack this with that will advance the timing (if thats a good idea) and further increase power. im not looking to make a high powered power-smoker but more a good daily driver with some balls. im only in senior high lol. Also if anybody knows anything about the bullet id like to hear more about it thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 05:04 PM
The Silent Service

Noticed its your first post, Welcome to the ORG.

If you want to keep the truck running, do not stack programmers and do not use the Banks Bullet.

I would send that unit back immediately, its going to cause a lot more harm than good. And the Bullet, is one of thier cheapest tuners, you don't want the expense its going to caust you. The unit will rely on the transmission to relearn, vise actually tuning the trans like a SCT will. That relearn is hard on the transmission, and will lead to failure, its only a matter of time.

Have you invested in gauges or a monitor, to watch that motor and head off the known 6.0L issues? That's where I would start, before heading down the path of a programmer. Do the research on these forums, the Banks is only going to give you issues.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:42 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Send the banks back. Get a set of gauges before you do any more modifications. Since you have a 6.0, something that can monitor ECT and EOT would be a good idea. Something like an edge CTS would be great. Then after that start looking at tuning. I would recommend getting an SCT with custom tunes from Innovative or one of the other custom tuners.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Welcome to the Org.

Your gonna need to be educated in the 6.0.

Send the Banks back. The first and most important mod to do will be a gauge/monitor system. There maybe some hidden issues with your motor that need to be addressed. A good monitor solution will save you money and headache.

I'm gonna give you links to read, these will start you out on getting to know your 6.0 and some common issues.

This first link will point out some of the issues with the 6.0, open and read all the info. When you get to the "coffee table" books, start with the 2003.5 6.0 and work your way thru all the 6.0 years (lots of info).
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/

This next link will get you started with what should be addressed after you have a monitor solution. You need to check the health of your motor.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

Here's another link with great info for newbies.
Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

And finally, the 6.0 tech file section. READ ALL the links in this one. Lots of info!!!
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-tech-files/
Old 09-04-2011, 07:16 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm only going to jump in here to help drive the point home to you to not even think about putting that banks bullet on your truck. SEND IT BACK and like everyone mentioned get a monitoring device or gauges if you like those better. In my opinion (IMO) get the Edge "Insight" (Not to be confused with Evolution or anything else) CTS. It is only a monitoring device that can read and clear trouble codes but take it from someone who has been where you are that it is the best mod I have done to my truck and with all that it can be expanded to do, you would be well served to get it and set it up for what you want out of it and then you would still have less money into that than all the gauges you would need to monitor everything the Edge will plus it installs in less than an hour where you are going to be spending a weekend or more putting in gauges. I have had both and the gauges are gone for me. Hope this helps. Oh yea and last but not least WELCOME man it is good to have you.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not your dad but let me give you some advice from an old man that has been there and screwed that up. Don't get excited and get in over your head. You have a very nice truck to drive to school but trust me, it will not be cool when it is broken or in pieces behind your house. Use the K.I.S.S. concept, keep it simple stupid. Return the tuner and buy a monitor. I'd suggest an Insight CTS but if you are on a budget you could do a Scangauge. Maintenance needs to come before tuning. Proper oil changes and fuel filters are a bit more expensive on these than say a Honda. If it is not being monitored you don't know how close you are to failure now. Your high school budget may be better spent on maintenance items than on the fun stuff. Just trying to help, not shoot you down.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Yeah, i recently had to buy 15 quarts of rotella t for her plus a filter haha. I'll invest in a good monitor next like the edge cts for sure thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Stacking on any Powerstroke is a no-no, good way to raise cylinder pressure and lift a head! SEND IT BACK!
Old 09-05-2011, 11:05 AM

I saw this and couldn't resist posting, I'm not really going to reiterate other than stacking programmers. I'm a freshman in college, I have spent a lot of time learning from the ORG (and money) as you can tell from the mods in my sig. it's good you posted here, listen to these guys, and most of all NEVER stack programmers, even if it's cheaper. do it right the first time, keep your fluids changed on time, monitor the key parameters, and once you get into really modding your truck..research research research, and don't cut corners! best of luck, and happy learning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
banks, module, stacking, tuner, upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.