How much did you pay for your 6.0L head gasket? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much did you pay for your 6.0L head gasket?

Just wondering what you guys paid to have your head gasket fixed?

Myn may be blown and am taking it in tomorrow to get it checked.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 04:25 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Expect about $2k to go for just labor and no parts. Where are you taking it? Dealer or other shop? Having studs put in?? Other things like egr upgrade/delete and/or oil cooler rebuild/delete (these are good things to do since the engine will be tore down and these are easily done during this job)?? Details man. Depending on where you get the studs from I would say look at ~$420 ish for the studs. $500 for all gaskets (get oem and not black onyx). $500-$1000 for head work or new heads (dont go cheap here and not get your heads fully checked out and rebuilt or replaced if needed because you will be right back where you started). And last but not least you will need an oil change, and replacement coolant. (this is also a good time to add a coolant filter and switch to ELC coolant.) So yea by the time it is all said and done and depending on what you are having done, I would expect to be paying over $5k for it to be done right. Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:17 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
$500-$1000 for head work or new heads (dont go cheap here and not get your heads fully checked out and rebuilt or replaced if needed because you will be right back where you started).
I agree with everything he said, except that I would like to add some detail to the part quoted above.
The heads have to be checked for straight/flat. If you are having a FORD dealer do the work, get the heads from them when they have them removed. Find your own machine shop capable and qualified to mill these heads. To achieve flat, they can not mill off more than 0.08" or you have to replace the head. The FORD procedure has been shown time and again to be insufficient for the critical check.

You might want to do the flush yourself previous to the repair. You will get better results using the flushing procedure found all over this forum using restore and restore+ (or the VC-9 from Ford). Then get your CAT EC-1 rated ELC CONCENTRATED coolant (International truck dealer will have the Fleetrite, NAPA sells a ZEREX ELC that is CAT EC-1 rated). It is important to get the concentrated form since you will not be able to completely drain all the water out of the cooling system, and if you add premixed, you will never achieve the necessary 50/50 mix.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

100 bucks plus studs and egr delete.... I love warrenty work lol
Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
me too i didnt even have to pay the deductible and got my studs done and egr delete i love my dealership
Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Perfect, that was exactly what i was looking for.

Im new to diesels so I didn't think about all the other stuff that should be done. I was told 9k from someone else so this is good news.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2011, 01:21 PM

I just got a quote , ARP studs,Stock gaskets ,disassemble heads and check for cracks, mill heads flat , and all related gaskets , Inj. Seals etc. ...complete turn key job if heads are not cracked for $3600 @ Truck Source Diesel in San Antonio
Old 09-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Question, most of us with 06 and 05 our standard factory bumper to bumper is up, but still has the 100K emmission warrnaty. I would think the EGR falls under that? Any thoughts on that?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
isnt it 5yr/100,000mile warranty so 05 and 06 would basically be up, correct? if not im running to the dealer
Old 09-01-2011, 02:24 PM

yep, 5yr or 100k whichever comes first...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.