Bit the bullet..bought casserly 190's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bit the bullet..bought casserly 190's

Hello everyone,
I have been waiting to order some of these injectors for a very very long time. I will be performing the install myself. Has anyone that has done this (obviously yes)..please chime in. Any install tips, or special tools I need? Or what tools make it 'easier'? Anything helps; I want to be well informed going into the install, as these were quite the investment..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 12:21 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would recommend you put in the upgraded stand pipes and dummy plugs while you're there (04 and up) which requires a larger allen wrench (12 or 14mm). The oil rail takes a T-30 and injector hold downs take a T-40 (3" and 4"). Removing the HVAC box on the passenger side makes for easier access to the oil rail, valve cover, and back injector hold downs. A short handle torque wrench makes it easier to torque the back injectors. Don't over tighten the valve cover bolts because they strip fairly easy. Be sure to clean the oil out of the injector hold down bolt holes. Failure to do so will result in an incorrect torque and a loose injector down the road.

It might be easier "learning" on the drivers side. Do the whole removal/install there first so you know what you're getting into. It's easier to see and access.

The MOST important thing is to TAKE YOUR TIME and ask questions if you get stuck.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:32 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would say that that about sums it up. Removing the HVAC box can be a real pain and may not be necessary. If I were you, I would just try and see if you can get a torque wrench on the fasteners back there and would only remove it if you couldnt get one on. Other than that be patient and go slow and keep things clean. Let us know if you need any further guidance and Get 'er Done.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:01 AM

I don't remove the HVAC. I just pull the passenger side finder well. That makes it easyer to get to the bottom valve covers bolts. There are 2 t30 bolts on the oil rail that are hard to get to with it in tho. Also make sure you torque your injectors to 26lbs with a long t40. Other wise you run the risk of the copper washers failing.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 AM

ok great, this is good information, thanks everyone! I watched a video on youtube on 'srmastertech' channel, as I was googling a write up, and he has the whole thing in 4 parts, removal and installation on video, its a great guide. He doesn't remove the HVAC box, just fits a wrench in there. I have the snap on flex head techwrench (electronic torque wrench 0-100ftlbs) that he uses, and he makes it look like it fits nicely. 06powerstroke, can I grab a long t40 at a local hardware store? Im trying to get everything settled for a smooth install while i'm bumming rides to class in this Texas heat! Casserly is going to do his best to get them done Tuesday, and I have them one day'd to my place, Full Force Diesel and Casserly are great to deal with.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:25 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Younger1993 View Post
06powerstroke, can I grab a long t40 at a local hardware store?
You can probably find one at a local autoparts store.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 AM

I'm not sure, I haven't got one local. You can do it with a regular one but you can side torque them and not get them to seat properly.

Yeah Ryan is good about getting them to you when you need them. He had next dayed injectors to me without asking.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:36 AM

FTXL40E, Socket Driver, TORX, Long, T40 Would this suffice? Modification may be needed I think.

Also, does anyone know the size of the oil rail plug in the back? I believe its a 10mm hex bit. As for the crankcase to head tubes, do I need to change out the O-rings? Part numbers would help if anyone happens to know them

Last edited by Younger1993; 09-01-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes the standpipe is a 10mm, at least on my 05. I have to get me a long T40. I was able to get the 2 T30's by the heater box with a 1/4" drive T30, a swivel and a long extension,1/4 to 3/8 adapter and a 3/8 ratchet. I just broke them free and removed them by hand from the fender well. I removed the liner. The back 2 VC bolts were then easy to get with a short 12mm wrench. You will need a short 12 point 19mm socket to remove the electrical connector from the rocker box. You just pres the socket over the connector an press to release the locking tabs then pull the plug in towards the injector.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 09-01-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Yes the standpipe is a 10mm, at least on my 05. I have to get me a long T40. I was able to get the 2 T30's by the heater box with a 1/4" drive T30, a swivel and a long extension,1/4 to 3/8 adapter and a 3/8 ratchet. I just broke them free and removed them by hand from the fender well. I removed the liner. The back 2 VC bolts were then easy to get with a short 12mm wrench. You will need a short 12 point 19mm socket to remove the electrical connector from the rocker box. You just pres the socket over the connector an press to release the locking tabs then pull the plug in towards the injector.
I have a 1/4" breaker bar, so I will try that with my 1/4" T30. The only question I have left is about those crankcase to head plugs, do I need to replace the D-rings? If so, does anyone have part numbers perhaps, because I heard Ford discontinued them, and now you have to buy the whole tube/plug...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.