Got A Problem No Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 12:42 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Got A Problem No Start

Ok well I am restoring from my head stud install and went to crank the truck for the first time. I had the Edge CTS on and was watching ICP and FICM voltage and I had my little malibu supporting the batteries with jumper cables. Well I started cranking and ICP read 0 and FICM voltage was 49V and after cranking for about 30 seconds to a minute it fired up. ICP started at 0 and I could watch it build and it built to above 200psi and then it fired right up and was running great. Well I had an oil leak on my oil cooler delete that required me to shut the truck off that I had to attend to. Well after tightening the fitting down I went back to try and start the truck again and it was like I never started it before and I had to build ICP all over again and it would get up to just over 200 psi but still would not fire. Any ideas?? I am a total loss and can only think that it must be that my batteries are just not quite fully charged enough to spin the motor fast enough to build the ICP up enough to start but I dont know. When I did try it a second and third time ICP would only get just to 200 psi and on the third time it was like 190-195psi and FICM voltage was 48.5Vs which would indicate a dying battery. So I am thinking that I just need to get my batteries freshened up and then ICP will get to like 225psi which I think is probably required to start. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How long did it run the first time and how long did you crank on the last attempts??? You can have air in the HPO system for a while and it will cause long cranks even after it's run for a few minutes. It takes a while to get the air out. Charge your batteries fully and try again. If it still isn't starting then air test it for an HPO leak. It actually takes a minimum 500 psi for your truck to crank.

Last edited by npccpartsman; 08-28-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:18 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Well when I got it to start, I ran it for maybe 5 minutes at most but I saw I had a low pressure oil leak and needed to fix it so I shut the truck off. Nevertheless, while it was idling ICP pressure was at like 830 psi or so. When I did my second and third attempts I cranked for probably a minute or so each time. Each attempt only allowed the ICP to get like I said to 200-210 at most and oscillate there. I am inlcined to think that it is just my batteries are not strong enough to spin the motor fast enough to get the ICP up enough to start the truck but wanted to run it past everyone and see what they thought it was. I say this because I watched the ICP build right up the first time like it was its job and it fired right up. I would say that it is more likely my batteries are not quite charged than that an oring failed in my HPO system. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it has an air pocket, it could take some time to get it back started. Chances are thats all it is since it ran fine previously.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:28 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Thats what I'm thinking. I ran across a guy on here about a couple of months ago that was unable to get his truck to start and it was because he did have a bad seal or something of the sort around an injector but he was only able to get his ICP up to like 50 psi tops. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Any update on this?

- Fred
Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

No update yet. I have to get my buddy to loan me his charger and I have to wait for my new fittings to come in. Should have something by the end of the week. The guys over on powerstroke nation think that it could be my IPR valve. As in like maybe I sucked in some debris or dirt and cause the screen to break and the IPR valve isnt functioning properly. While I am not ruling out any possiblities, I have to say that initially I feel that this is unlikely due to the fact that the truck did in fact start and I am hoping that it just isnt being spun fast enough to build the ICP up enough to start due to the batteries not being fully charged. Nevertheless, they are also saying that it requires like 500 psi to start and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that the ICP reading on my insight was NOT 500 psi but just greater than 200 when it did start so therefore I dont know how accurate the 500 psi number is. Any ideas??
Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

So I have a question about pulling the IPR valve. Can it be pulled with the turbo on?? I have the socket and can get it on but am having trouble turning the valve loose because I cant move my socket due to there not being enough space. I really hate to pull the turbo and everything off just to get to it but will do so if I have to. Any mechanic tricks???
Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 AM
information regurgitator

Extensions and universal joints............... or arms of spaghetti
Old 09-02-2011, 09:32 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Got ya. It seems like it is designed to be pulled without pulling the turbo but just want to make sure I am not trying to do something that is impossible and I end up waisting my time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.