Straight Piped today! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Straight Piped today!

Went 3.5 pipe all the way, no tip atm, and i gotta say its not as loud as i thought it would be. It still has a good growl when you get on it but it is not annoying. Looks like it knocked down the egts some and maybe picked up a horse or two but its hard to tell. It definitely seems smoother. Over all i am satisfied with it. Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yeah i love my 4" sounds perfect
Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've got the stock pipe with the muffler cut out- I love the tone it has from 2200 RPMs on up.....Sounds great! Buuuuuuttttt.... I'm about to order a 5 inch Diamond Eye from PerformanceMachineMFG..... can't wait for that! But I do love the 3.5 that I have now!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Mav View Post
I've got the stock pipe with the muffler cut out- I love the tone it has from 2200 RPMs on up.....Sounds great! Buuuuuuttttt.... I'm about to order a 5 inch Diamond Eye from PerformanceMachineMFG..... can't wait for that! But I do love the 3.5 that I have now!
I wouldnt mind hearing what you think about the 5" when you get it on. If you dont mind.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 PM

I have a 5" straight piped if you have any questions let me know if I can help you out
Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
I have a 5" straight piped if you have any questions let me know if I can help you out
Im just curious how the sound/performance compares to the stock 3.5" straight piped and opinions on whether or not its worth the price of the upgrade.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
if your just in the game to use your truck for work/play then the stock size straight pipe is just fine. the only way u would NEED to get bigger exhaust is if your in the high high hp numbers and racing or pulling. 2 reasons people get the bigger exhaust is for looks and sound. the larger diameter piping the deeper the sound coming out the exhaust will be. the larger piping pay have slightly cooler egt's but if you have a totally straight piped 3"dp to 3.5" on back vs a 4" dp to 5" on back, the egts wont be very different. few degrees cooler, thats it. the main things that effect egt's with exhuast is muffler and cat.

another thing, the stock down pipe is 3", after market exhausts are either 3.5"(mbrp for example) and 4"(diamond eye for example). the larger the down pipe you get, you start to lose a tad of low end power. not a huge loss but on a stock truck you can definitely feel it with the 4" down pipe. but that is something sct tuner with custom tunes can get all that and more power back :

let me know if ya have any more questions
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 PM

Those were my reasons for choosing the 5 inch. I like the deeper sound and I do quite a bit of pulling- tractors, balers, hay, cattle, etc... I'll be putting the 5 inch on and then the CTS and SCT with custom tunes. Mainly just looking for reliable power and efficiency... I have a tip on the 3.5 inch exhaust I have now- I think it looks great and as I said, I love the way it sounds when it starts talking!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah i like the way it sounds and for what i plan to do with it the 3.5" should be enough. I will probably get a tip at some point, but i dont see that changing the sound much.
btw i have noticed that the mpg average has fallen a little bit due to the lead foot mod. haha
Old 08-27-2011, 07:42 AM

I ended up welding in a small 18x6 inch muffler instead of the delete. If I never pulled heavy I would dig the straight pipe but the truck is a purpose built towing truck and I am getting old enough lol that I don't need to be listening to drone for hours on end.

OP, do you still have your cat installed? Mine lost it's innerds on accident and it makes a big difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.