Intake Gains: REAL OR BULLSH**??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Intake Gains: REAL OR BULLSH**???

Since I've been on the forums I noticed everyone dogging aftermarket intakes and swearing by the stock units supporting 500hp. I haven't first-hand experienced an intake system on a 6.0 and really had no desire to but after seeing some bold claims I would like to hear what people have to say. My buddy SWEARS he picked up 3mpg with an intake which sounds exaggerated but these 6.0s are either a hit or miss on fuel mileage so anything is possible. Airraid claims 21hp and 44 ft lbs gains! Where do they get these numbers? Where is the proof? I'm contemplating buying one just for the sound....

Airraid claims 21hp and 44 ft lbs....
AIRAID Intake System For 2003-2007 6.0L Ford PowerStroke Diesel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's BS. If I had all the power mfg's claim I'd have 600hp and 1000tq by now. Your buddies 3mpg is BS too.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:44 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I can tell you that when I put a magnaflow 5in turbo back exhaust (4in DP into a straight back 5in muffler with 6in tip), AFE stage II intake, and CFM large mouth kit I did picked up over 1mpg and I would even say it was more like 2. I know my boost when I was cruising around went down by about 3-4 psi. This of course was with a completely stock truck with stock tune. I cant say for sure which of the three things caused me to see the gain but it was there.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:00 PM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There may be a slight mpg gain on an intake, but I doubt it is enough to justify the expense of the system to install. Power claims on those airfilters are under peak loads running WOT, how often are you pushing that much air under normal driving conditions. You won't see power gains on a basically stock truck.

FWIT, the guy starting to Modify his 6.0L can do better with that investment by getting him a monitor and SCT to start with. A 3mpg claim on intake alone, I find it very hard to believe. I trust the stock Donaldson to do its job and filter, more than any aftermarket filter to improve mileage. Turbos and valves aren't cheap to replace.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do know each 6.0 is different, When I put on my 4in exhaust I lost about 3/4 gallon a mile. I had to put a tune on it to get my milage back. A buddy put a intake on his 6.0 and got and got about 1.5 mile improvement. But that was not what he got the intake for, he just wanted a filter that he could clean.

later
jmd
Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
every performance mod i have done to my truck it loses more and more mpg. that or my foot keeps getting heavier
Old 08-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I have tried just about every aftermarket intake out there (AFE Stage 1, 2, and S&B) and all have given me the same result: nothing but an empty wallet. Save your money. I threw my stock intake with a new Donaldson filter on a couple days ago, and surprisingly, the whistle is louder with the stocker..! The jnly difference I noticed was that the truck smokes a little more.. which I don't like. But I'll take a little bit of smoke over a dusted turbo!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the question and the info y'all! I've been wondering the same things... I learn something else about these trucks every time I log in!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 AM

do the zoodad mod it will give you a ram air effect

here is a link

zoodad mod

Last edited by 05harley; 08-27-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:57 PM

Seriously, do the zoodad.

3mpg is a serious statement and if it were close to being true everyone on here would go get it. Did you see our intakes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.