What Can I REALLY Expect?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Can I REALLY Expect??

My truck has gotten to a point where it pukes coolant any time I hold it WOT for more than 1-2 seconds. I just replaced the oil cooler and my temp delta is fine, so I'm thinking its in real need of some ARP head studs. Also my fuel mileage has dropped noticeably and my driving habits hasn't changed. Last but not least, I'm having an EXTREMELY hard time getting the truck to break faster than a 8.95-9 flat et at our local 1/8th mile track. My questions are: 1) Will head studs fix the puking problem? 2) Will they help the mileage if the HG's are currently messed up? 3) What is it going to take to get this PIG moving!?!? I'm looking for the truck to run in the low 8's and if studs and bumping the tune on up will get it there then I'm gonna drop the money. But if this 6.0L just ISN'T going to run that fast then I'd rather save my money and trade the truck. I need some honest, been there and done that, opinions. Thanks for the replies ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 10:19 PM

Head studs are a must if you are planning on pumping big power in the 6.0L that is a known fact. As far as mods go to make it get to where you want to be, you are in the right place. I have very little experience with drag racing my 6.0L but some guys here will. As far as blowing money, if you plan on drag racing your truck (wether it is dodge, ford, or chev) plan on spending money. If you dont want to spend money on head gaskets on a 6.0L then go ahead and spend the same amount on a tranny for your Dodge, or injectors on your Chev. A good friend of mine is on his 3rd tranny on his Dodge (at 5K CAN a piece and only 230KMS), sledding buddy just spend 6K on injectors and fuel pump on his Chev (175KMS on this truck). Any diesel you run is gonna cost you big bucks, the 6.0L once you get the Studs in and the bugs worked out, they really are a STOUT unit, and they sound BADASS when tuned!! Get yourself an Edge Insight and start doin oil analysis, you will catch problems before they cost you big bucks.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Stroke View Post
My truck has gotten to a point where it pukes coolant any time I hold it WOT for more than 1-2 seconds. I just replaced the oil cooler and my temp delta is fine, so I'm thinking its in real need of some ARP head studs. Also my fuel mileage has dropped noticeably and my driving habits hasn't changed. Last but not least, I'm having an EXTREMELY hard time getting the truck to break faster than a 8.95-9 flat et at our local 1/8th mile track. My questions are: 1) Will head studs fix the puking problem? 2) Will they help the mileage if the HG's are currently messed up? 3) What is it going to take to get this PIG moving!?!? I'm looking for the truck to run in the low 8's and if studs and bumping the tune on up will get it there then I'm gonna drop the money. But if this 6.0L just ISN'T going to run that fast then I'd rather save my money and trade the truck. I need some honest, been there and done that, opinions. Thanks for the replies ahead of time!
1) If done correctly, absolutely. The puking is usually what alerts most people of a head gasket problem. My truck was bleeding off pressure through the cap and puking under heavy WOT conditions. I studded it and have been fine since.

2) Your mileage may or may not be effected by the HG issue. If the HGs are leaking enough to hinder compression then yes you will see an increase in mileage. Even if you didn't see a gain, it is something that needs to be addressed. There are a lot of causes for bad mileage on these engines and I would address the HGs first before trying to tackle anything else.

3) A stock turbo and injector truck with tune and exhaust will go mid 13s to high 14s dependant on weight. If you plan on going any faster, be prepared to shell out a lot of cash.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
yeah i bet if you do the studs then get the powermax turbo with tunes for the turbo and the 155's that thing would run great. and when you get studded you can run the higher hp tunes, which will help you get better mileage if your easy on it
Old 08-25-2011, 03:19 PM

Kobane, I completely understand what your saying. I am a Ford fan tried and true and would never own a Chevy, and I realize that Dodge has their own problems too! When I said trade the truck, I meant like trade the 6.0L for a 6.4L Superduty (although i realize they have problems too). Ckguy, my truck already has 155cc injectors and I do not mind spending the money to stud it and put a powermax on it, but I'm just wanting to make sure its going to run the times I want it to run. I have no idea how fast a mid 13 1/4 mile time translates to a 1/8 mile time?? Thanks for the replies guys. I've already got a good bit of money into this truck and I do not want to sell it, but I do know that a 6.4L does not have a problem getting into the low 8s with just a tune/exhaust/intake combo.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:18 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
With injectors and powermax you should be able to run low 8s with those 35" tires.

The 6.4 is a torquey beast so it's going to take injectors and turbo to get on their level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.