what to do now - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile what to do now

i have an 03 with 211k on it and egr delete edge system 4'' open exhaust and airaid intake. ive had it for 2 weeks now and the truck runs great and has lots of power to. but just looking for some preventive maintenance upgrades that i can do as i travel a lot and dont want to get stuck on the side of the road. any suggestions would be great thanks john
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,156
Thanks: 51
Thanked 125 Times in 96 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Things to consider.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 348
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstroke View Post
i have an 03 with 211k on it and egr delete edge system 4'' open exhaust and airaid intake. ive had it for 2 weeks now and the truck runs great and has lots of power to. but just looking for some preventive maintenance upgrades that i can do as i travel a lot and dont want to get stuck on the side of the road. any suggestions would be great thanks john
My Suggestions:
  • ARP Head Studs
  • Coolant Filter Kit
  • NEW OEM Engine Oil Cooler
  • Rebuild Turbo

When I say re-build, I mean go through the Turbo and check all your VGT components, chances are you may be loosing some power from a non-fully functioning turbo, make sure to inspect the unison ring for rust pits and make sure to use a scotch brite pad on the surface before re-assembly and also apply anti-seize to the ring and vanes to prevent it from sticking in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
well the thing is i dont know if these things are done on it allready. the egr delete and edge programer were done when i got them is there anyway to check these other things and see if they might be done allready also i think the turbo is an aftermarket one my truck sounds like a high power vac at idle and has a sweet whistle sound never herd one as loud as mine before anyway i can check on this to i can try to put some pics up if that will help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,156
Thanks: 51
Thanked 125 Times in 96 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You have an '03, the whistle on the '03 is incredibly loud when straight piped.

Whether stuff was replaced/updated or not, you need to read that link, your ECT/EOT delta will tell you if your oil cooler is up to par. Fuel psi is critical to insure healthy injectors, so is FICM volts.

Gauges/monitor will tell you what needs to be done to insure a healthy motor. Along with keeping up on the maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-22-2011, 04:43 PM
BACKYARDIGAN


 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 4,425
Thanks: 26
Thanked 70 Times in 46 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I agree with a monitoring device like the Edge. You need to see what the condition of your motor is and this way you will be able to see how different mods affect your motor. That is where I would start then go with what performance machine said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i dont know the lingo yet so what is ect/eot delta, and how do i check it? also how do i check fuel psi. get a gauge installed? and what should it read? also the FICM should i just check it every once in a wile or do they have some kind of system monitor for it. im new to diesel and very happy i made the switch by the way, so bare with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 348
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstroke View Post
well the thing is i dont know if these things are done on it allready. the egr delete and edge programer were done when i got them is there anyway to check these other things and see if they might be done allready also i think the turbo is an aftermarket one my truck sounds like a high power vac at idle and has a sweet whistle sound never herd one as loud as mine before anyway i can check on this to i can try to put some pics up if that will help
This is typical for all the 03 trucks, the amount of vanes on the exhaust side is different on the 04-07 trucks. They changed it due to noise complaints by customers. You should be able to visibly tell wether your studded or bolted by looking at the passenger cylinder head. I will take pictures tomorrow morning to show the difference.




Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 59
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ok thanks and i have some pics in my profile of turbo and was looking at some videos on you tube and i think my turbo is stock i do have the edge installed so i can see the EGT,tranny and water temps on the monitor. how ever what should i set the limits at i think they are 230 water 1300 EGT is this good or should i go lower the EGT never goes past 900 yet and the temp runs at about 203 on the high and 194 on the low trans is like 160 on the high 145 on the low are these good temps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-22-2011, 06:19 PM
BACKYARDIGAN


 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 4,425
Thanks: 26
Thanked 70 Times in 46 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstroke View Post
i dont know the lingo yet so what is ect/eot delta, and how do i check it? also how do i check fuel psi. get a gauge installed? and what should it read? also the FICM should i just check it every once in a wile or do they have some kind of system monitor for it. im new to diesel and very happy i made the switch by the way, so bare with me
No worries man we'll get you up to speed. ECT: Engine Coolant Temperature. EOT: Engine Oil Temperature. You are looking for less than 15F difference in temperatures when the engine is at operating temperature cruising on flat ground at like 55-60mph. Yes fuel pressure can only be checked by installing a gauge or expanding an Edge CTS it should read around 60 psi and be above 50psi at full throttle. FICM is fuel injection control module and that voltage should be 48v plus or minus a volt and should be able to be read on an Edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstroke View Post
ok thanks and i have some pics in my profile of turbo and was looking at some videos on you tube and i think my turbo is stock i do have the edge installed so i can see the EGT,tranny and water temps on the monitor. how ever what should i set the limits at i think they are 230 water 1300 EGT is this good or should i go lower the EGT never goes past 900 yet and the temp runs at about 203 on the high and 194 on the low trans is like 160 on the high 145 on the low are these good temps
1300 is fine for the EGT alarm. IDK about water but the temps your truck is running at are fine IMO. Hope this helps. So do you have an Edge?? CS or CTSS?? EGT Probe??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors