Ready for upgrades- opinions welcome! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Ready for upgrades- opinions welcome!

Ok, I'm ready to upgrade some items on my 05. BUT, I would love some opinions and feedback on some of the stuff I'm looking at. Turns out I can mark the EGR delete off of my list. The truck already has one done.

First- Monitoring. I'm looking to go with either the Edge CS or CTS. Here is my question. Is the touch screen on the CTS gonna work good long term? Anybody have good/bad things to say on this? It looks like around a hundred bucks difference between the CS and the CTS. Can I monitor 8 parameters with the CS like you can the CTS? Or since the screen is smaller, does it display less?

Second- Tuning. In doing all of the reading on here, it'll be a SCT tuner. Which is better? X3 or XF(?) I want to tune it for towing and fuel economy (I mean crank it up as much as possible without hurting it then driving it like a sane person) So I'd like to get a couple of custom tunes.

Third- Exhaust. I have stock exhaust now, but with the muffler delete. I have several questions here. 4" or 5"? What's the benefit of going with a 5"? Does it sound better? I want to go with no muffler, but do I need to try to keep a cat? Or go straight pipe all the way? 3.5 or 4" DP? Is the 4" worth the hassle of trying to get it in there?

I have found a kit from Diamond Eye that seems to beat every other price. I can get a 4" Turbo back for 279 or a dual 4" Turbo back (single pipe then Y's to exit on each rear corner) for 379. I'm only thinking dual 4" if it'll help the sound. I LOVE the sound from the 6.0. What do y'all reccomend? Single 4 or 5 inch? Dual 4 inch? Cat or no cat?

I would REALLY appreciate ANY input here y'all!!! Thanks in advance!! Preston
Sorry it's so long!!

Last edited by Country Mav; 08-21-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 02:41 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My opinion here is:
Monitor: Edge CTS because I like that it can monitor more than the CS and looks better IMO.

Tuner: The difference between the X3 and SF3 is that the SF3 comes with canned tunes as well as having space for 3 custom tunes. After using the canned tunes I highly recommend just going with the X3 and get custom tunes. You'll like them better.

Exhaust: Well I have a 4in down pipe to a 5in straight pipe to an 8in stack and I love the sound. That is the only thing that differs between the two really is sound. I didnt have that much trouble getting the 4in DP in either and that is what I would go with. If cost is your concern stick with just a 4in turbo back exhaust and if you need to pass a visual inspection just get an aftermarket CAT and punch it out so it looks like it is there.

EGR Delete: Go on ebay they are like $150. They are all the about the same.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:20 AM

No inspections here. If you get pulled over for being too loud, they may fuss then about no cat/muffler, but other than that, no problems there. I just didn't know if it would affect my performance negatively by not having a cat.

So is the 5 inch deeper sounding than a 4 inch? Louder in general? What's the sound difference, does anyone know? Thanks!

Just figured out yesterday (with help from Lilpooh) that I already have an EGR delete. So I can mark that off of the list at least!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Smaller exhaust will sound more raspy. A larger will sound more deeper.

You can go on YouTube and hear some of the differences. Here's mine with 4" turbo back before/after summit muffler delete, no kitty.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 PM

WOW! That thing sounds vicious with the 4 inch straight! Is it too loud inside the cab to talk to your passengers when you're at cruising speed? The turbo REALLY screams with the bigger tube.... I like it! I'm gonna forget duals and just decide on whether I want 4 or 5 inch.... Thanks for the You-Tube idea too!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In the cab while cruising unloaded is almost like stock, with a little rumble. It's when you get up to 2k+ rpm that it starts to get loud in the cab, especially when loaded (towing).

Its a matter of preference, some guys like a quiet exhaust, some guys loud.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Mav View Post
Ok, I'm ready to upgrade some items on my 05. BUT, I would love some opinions and feedback on some of the stuff I'm looking at. Turns out I can mark the EGR delete off of my list. The truck already has one done.

First- Monitoring. I'm looking to go with either the Edge CS or CTS. Here is my question. Is the touch screen on the CTS gonna work good long term? Anybody have good/bad things to say on this? It looks like around a hundred bucks difference between the CS and the CTS. Can I monitor 8 parameters with the CS like you can the CTS? Or since the screen is smaller, does it display less?

Second- Tuning. In doing all of the reading on here, it'll be a SCT tuner. Which is better? X3 or XF(?) I want to tune it for towing and fuel economy (I mean crank it up as much as possible without hurting it then driving it like a sane person) So I'd like to get a couple of custom tunes.

Third- Exhaust. I have stock exhaust now, but with the muffler delete. I have several questions here. 4" or 5"? What's the benefit of going with a 5"? Does it sound better? I want to go with no muffler, but do I need to try to keep a cat? Or go straight pipe all the way? 3.5 or 4" DP? Is the 4" worth the hassle of trying to get it in there?

I have found a kit from Diamond Eye that seems to beat every other price. I can get a 4" Turbo back for 279 or a dual 4" Turbo back (single pipe then Y's to exit on each rear corner) for 379. I'm only thinking dual 4" if it'll help the sound. I LOVE the sound from the 6.0. What do y'all reccomend? Single 4 or 5 inch? Dual 4 inch? Cat or no cat?

I would REALLY appreciate ANY input here y'all!!! Thanks in advance!! Preston
Sorry it's so long!!
Personally I think the CS is just as good a unit as the CTS there really isn't much difference except the screen size. We have the CS in our shop truck with the Turbo Timer Kit and it has never once let us down. You can set the timer to shut down on either time or tempurature.

As far as tuners go you already have the right answer, the SCT devices are hands down the best on the market. We run and sale the Innovative Diesel Custom Tuning here at PMM. There are some other tuning companies out there but IDP has been around the longest and there tunes are proven to not cause issues in the long term.

Exhaust wise if your looking for a good kit at a great price you can't go wrong with Diamond Eye. There kits fit great and the quality as compared to kits in the same price range is second to none. If sound is something you want outside the truck and not be able to hear inside I would recommend a kit with a muffler. The 6.0 is known to sometimes drone whenever a muffler is not installed.

Should you have any questions or want a price quote feel free to call me 877-408-3256 or PM me, my name is Daniel. We are a site sponsor they have just been very slow on getting our stuff activated. Thanks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info on Diamond Eye! I had never heard of them before and didn't know anything about them. How does their 5" kit fit? I've bought kits from Summit before and it was generally a nightmare... I won't ever buy another or reccomend one to anyone.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Mav View Post
Thanks for the info on Diamond Eye! I had never heard of them before and didn't know anything about them. How does their 5" kit fit? I've bought kits from Summit before and it was generally a nightmare... I won't ever buy another or reccomend one to anyone.
They fit good, there were some issues in the past with there downpipes rubbing on the 6.0's but they have remedied that. The only suggestion I would make is to purchase a set of the clamps like this for the entire system except where hanger clamps are used.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM

Thanks very much for the information! I really appreciate it! Preston
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.