Oil filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil filter

Hows it all going, when the time comes i want to change my 06 to Amsoil 15-40W Oil and Bypass kit. Amsoil sells the 6L oil filter, but heard some horror stories from people and from Bill the youtube guy Powerstroke Help. What do most People run, besides those with Bullet Proof Diesel EGR+Oil Kits, which i want to get when my warrantys up, but would like to see if it really justifys to do so if i just keep on top of my antifreeeze and when the warrantys up to change to ELC. Should i run the motorcraft oil filter or is the amsoil one and fuel filter the same? Otherwise ill go to the ford dealer for the parts. And im gunna install a Dieselsite coolant filter tommorow night, i have distilled water, but for now can i top it off with Zerex G-05, that should be the same as Ford Gold Right? I have 3yrs/36K left on my warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SuperDutyF250 View Post
Hows it all going, when the time comes i want to change my 06 to Amsoil 15-40W Oil and Bypass kit. Amsoil sells the 6L oil filter, but heard some horror stories from people and from Bill the youtube guy Powerstroke Help. What do most People run, besides those with Bullet Proof Diesel EGR+Oil Kits, which i want to get when my warrantys up, but would like to see if it really justifys to do so if i just keep on top of my antifreeeze and when the warrantys up to change to ELC. Should i run the motorcraft oil filter or is the amsoil one and fuel filter the same? Otherwise ill go to the ford dealer for the parts. And im gunna install a Dieselsite coolant filter tommorow night, i have distilled water, but for now can i top it off with Zerex G-05, that should be the same as Ford Gold Right? I have 3yrs/36K left on my warranty.
For filters, use ONLY Motorcraft (or Raycor). Everywhere, everytime, period.

I will withhold my real feelings on that guy I have in bold, other than to say you might be best to find a different source for information.

It is not necessary to run Amsoil in this engine. You should not extend your oil change intervals without careful oil analysis. Blackstonelabs is one place to get that. This engine sheers oil pretty quickly, and extending intervals is not recommended, no matter what oil you put in there. Save your cash.
Many of us run the Rotella T6 5W40 all year round. Available at your local wally-world
Old 08-17-2011, 07:06 PM
information regurgitator

Sorry, missed a question:
Yes, zerex g-05 is the same coolant as the Ford Gold. When you go to get parts, ask the Ford dealer to check your nitrite concentration in your coolant. Do that every 6 months until your warranty expires and you dump that coolant.

EDIT: On second thought, dump the coolant semi-annually anyway and refill with fresh. Recheck the nitrites in the new coolant ASAP. It can, and does, come low right out of a new bottle.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 PM

yea i plan on draining the rad and filling it with the g05 and distilled water when i do the coolant filter tommorow, and yes i heard the gold is a nightmare, im an amsoil dealer so the price is a little less, and i know of blackstone labs as well, the recommended interval is 5K with these motors right? IS the bypass worth it, for protecting injectors and the HPOP? Just dont wanna blow the money if i go with bullet proofs complete system. whats ur take on the bullets system?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:08 PM
information regurgitator

A bypass will keep the oil cleaner. It might add to the length of time you can run the oil, but let the lab decide when/if you can.

The BPD oil cooling system is the best mod I have done to my truck. I never study my EOT/ECT delta anymore, there is no need. My oil temps don't reach what they were reaching when I had the stock oil cooler.
I looked at the system like this: If I was to pay a mechanic to swap out the stock oil cooler/egr cooler, it would run a little over half the cost of the BPD system. So, if that cooler was to plug again, I could have paid for the BPD system and not worry when that was going to happen.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:40 PM

yea thats what im gunna wind up doing, the BPD Kit eliminates the cartridge type filter, it removes the base of it or you just leave it empty. Also you have to remove the condeser or sumthing along those lines dont you? Does the A/C Suffer at all?
Old 08-18-2011, 03:51 AM
information regurgitator

Yes, the kit comes with a (huge) filterhead that gets mounted behind the front bumper on the drivers side. My stock oil filter housing is empty.
You have to have the AC system evacuated before starting the install, since the condenser comes out of the truck.
My AC system did not suffer at all. I had it overfilled a few ounces of refrigerant. The directions that come in the kit tell you that you may have to do that, so instead of having it filled to stock, then needing more, I just overfilled it by 8 ounces.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SuperDutyF250 View Post
yea thats what im gunna wind up doing, the BPD Kit eliminates the cartridge type filter, it removes the base of it or you just leave it empty. Also you have to remove the condeser or sumthing along those lines dont you? Does the A/C Suffer at all?
I echo everything that Derek (NYC F-350) has already said, but wanted to add my experience with the AC and my BPD oil cooler kit. I tow a HEAVY 5th wheel (12k lbs) toy hauler in the desert of Arizona and even with the heat load, my AC stays very cold. I have noticed no impact to my AC performance. I must say though that it is a GREAT feeling not having to worry about my oil cooler or EGR cooler bursting...
Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 PM

sounds good probably gunna go that route soon, thanks alot appreciate the input guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.