?'s for anyone with Banks Big Hoss or 6 Gun - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
?'s for anyone with Banks Big Hoss or 6 Gun

Hello,

As I stated in my other post I'm new here. I just purchased a 2006 F350 SuperCrew 4x4 that has the Big Hoss Bundle on it. I'd say the biggest reason why I went with it is because I know how restrictive stock parts are on the intake and exhaust sides. So I would have wanted to do both of those upgrades anyway. I'm really looking for fuel economy with a little performance, VS going to level 6 and peeling the tires off.

So I'm wondering, which settings do you feel give you the best MPG's and what are considered good MPG averages city and highway? I have heard most people say they drive around on 3 or 4 and never really touch 5 or 6.

Also do any of you tow with the system on? Or do you just keep it at the level 1 setting?

Thanks in advance for sharing your stories and experiences!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Premium Member

I...HAD...the Big Hoss bundle on my truck with the PDA. Ran most of the time on 2...rarely higher than 3. EGT spikes towing pretty fast on three. I had the full package CAC and exhaust. Went with a diferent setup for two main reasons, 1 don't really like tuners that just fool the sensors and 2 Needed better gauge selections. Retained the CAC and exhaust...they make prettty nice components. As far as mieage I can tell you that before removing the six gun, on 2 I averaged 15 plus on the fwy, without I dropped 2+ mpg.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the reply.

I picked up the truck in LA and drove it home to Phx.in 2 the whole time. If I kept it right about 73MPH I was bouncing between 22 and 24 on the Banks IQ. Although I was in quite a bit of traffic going through LA to start and the average was down at 16 by the time the traffic broke free. And toward the end of my trip I just wanted to get home so I bounced around 80-85. I think I overall ended up at 18.

Just not sure if that's as good as it gets or not since it was my first trip.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i would always hand calculate your MPG.. i have never seen a 6.0L do 22 or 24 mpg when its hand calculated...

my advice is sell that banks tuning products and get yourself a real tuner like a custom tuned SCT x3 and a set of gauges....

from my experience only about 5-10% of people actually use banks products after they get on forums and realize that its really not that great and way overpriced...

either way congrats on the new truck and welcome to the Org

-Raul
Old 08-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The stock air filter will support up to 500hp, also there is no aftermarket filter that will out filter the stock one. You take a higher risk of dusting the turbo with a aftermarket filter.

You mentioned about towing with the I.Q., if you want your trans to live, ditch the Banks programmer!!!! The shift on the fly programmers don't program the trans to handle the extra power.

You've got alot of reading ahead of you, you can start with this link.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 08-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I love towing with my custom SCT tunes I have great power, good mileage and the egt's have never topped 1350 pulling 10k on some pretty good passes. I spent my vacation comparing two tow tunes and had great results with both as a bonus they got good mileage empty too!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Premium Member

I run the banks six gun on level 6 on mine and haven't changed it since I got the truck. It already had the tuner when I bought it and I'd like to ditch it for an sct cause the banks shifts like crap imo.

I drove my truck to California and back in march (3000 miles) and averaged 19.8 mpg hand calculated with the tuner on level 6.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Generally speaking, a higher horsepower program will yield the best mileage.

There are better options out there than Banks. I'd be selling all of that stuff off and buying an SCT with custom tunes myself. The IQ itself is probably pretty nice, and if it came with the truck I'd probably keep that part, since you really have nothing invested in it. Good way to monitor too.

Hand calculate your mileage, it's going to be much worse than that I'm guessing. You're not in a 20+MPG truck. My extended cab short bed auto 4x4 avg's around 15 or so. Could probably be better, but I do a lot of mixed driving and I have a heavy foot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.