Another exhaust Q for smog - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another exhaust Q for smog

So yes I'm a newb, but have been doing some searches for an exhaust that I can run in a Smog county in Nevada (Washoe Co.). Just curious if there is an exhaust that is turbo back with the cat and no muffler? I'm new to the forum and also the diesel world (as a new owner, family has always had one.)

I'm not looking to spend a ton, but if need be then I will. Just don't want to be taking on and off a cat every year at inspection/smog, unless it's relatively easy. Also, not sure about getting stopped by the popo without a cat? Fine involved possibly? I see modded up diesels running around town blowin smoke and sounding mean so I'm sure there are ways around the smog issue.

Well, any help is much appreciated!

-Curtis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 11:57 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So your looking for a turbo back with CAT straight pipe? If that is indeed the case I have never heard of such a thing. Maybe a CAT back straight pipe, but every turbo back exhaust (whether with or without a muffler) I have heard of does not include a cat but rather a means to keep your existing cat. Kind of a waste if you ask me because if you have a 4in down pipe then constrict the piping back to 3.5 in then open it back up after the cat to 4in you are defeating the purpose of the 4in exhaust IMO. However, I do know that xtremediesel use to sell replacement CATs in 3.5, 4, and 5in diameters. I dont remember how much they were but if you have to keep the cat then this is what I would do. I would go with the 4in or 5in turbo back exhaust and just get a CAT for that diameter piping. I know it would be more but if you are ok with that then great. Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrunner408 View Post
So your looking for a turbo back with CAT straight pipe? If that is indeed the case I have never heard of such a thing. Maybe a CAT back straight pipe, but every turbo back exhaust (whether with or without a muffler) I have heard of does not include a cat but rather a means to keep your existing cat. Kind of a waste if you ask me because if you have a 4in down pipe then constrict the piping back to 3.5 in then open it back up after the cat to 4in you are defeating the purpose of the 4in exhaust IMO. However, I do know that xtremediesel use to sell replacement CATs in 3.5, 4, and 5in diameters. I dont remember how much they were but if you have to keep the cat then this is what I would do. I would go with the 4in or 5in turbo back exhaust and just get a CAT for that diameter piping. I know it would be more but if you are ok with that then great. Hope this helps.
Thanks for shedding some light for me I'm not super mechanical, but smart enought to understand if things are explained. I wasn't sure if there were any companies that made an exhaust that included an oversized CAT or not. I've done some searches, but am not super familiar and not all of the companies list diameters (well through the wholesalers).

I agree with what you recommend, and will be going with either a 4 or 5in turbo back. I believe one of the companies makes a "tester" tube that is a section of straight tube that replaces the CAT and can put the CAT back in for smog purposes. Thats probably the system that I'll go with (MBRP I believe). I'm not planning on big mods (everyone says that right lol), just exhaust and a tuner (SCT plus Edge Insite).

-Curtis
Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Got ya. Yea the ideal system would be one that you can easily swap the CAT in and out of without changing the diameter of the pipe when it is out.

Great idea for the Edge Insight. I recommend those to anyone who will listen. Single best mod you can do to your truck since it allows you to see how each mod you do affects your motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.