welding egr valve really necessary? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 05:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
welding egr valve really necessary?

Well, here is the deal. Ive gone back and forth on what I want to do. I have an 07 with 31k miles. I still have a warranty on it and Im planning on getting the extdended warranty when this one is about to expire. I know the guy at the local dealer. He is cool with me doing a delete as far as the warranty goes. I am not planning on putting a performance tune, turbo back exhuast or anything of that nature on the truck. The only reason for doing the egr mod is for engine longevity. I have decided to get an upgraded cooler and an coolant filter. My plan is to get a tuner with a custom tune and turn off the egr function. I realize the valve could blow open but for the most part I think it will stay shut. I could buy a spare valve, weld it shut, then swap it if needed. What do you guys recommend? The reason Im going with the cooler vs the delete is Im worried about the warranty long term. Even though my dealer is ok with the delete, what happens when Im 300 miles from home and a head gasket goes south? That dealer may not be as nice. Ive also heard after the factory warranty is up they send a rep out to look it over. If the rep sees the delete, he is more than likely going to void my case. I figure I can get the upgraded cooler, turn the valve off with the tuner, and then if something does happen all I have to do is put the stock tune back in. I think its kind of overkill to get a 400 dollar tuner for the sole fact of turning off the egr but I really am not out out to make more power. That and the fact I am under the assumption to do any kind of tuning, you need a full exhuast to help with EGT's. I would only be interested in a cat back due to the warranty and that would probably be a waste as well. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 05:15 AM
Retired Soldier!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I took my cooler out and welded both sides shut with freeze plugs. I did not have to use a tuner to shut my EGR off because it is a 2004. I had warrenty work done(head gaskets replaced) at the dealer and he saw the welded cooler and asked me how long it had been that way. I told him it was only a short time because I bought the truck used and it was having problems puking coolant when I towed my 5th wheel. He agreed it was a good solution or to install the bulletproof version of the cooler if you are wooried about voiding your warrenty. My dealer and tech there are very knowledgeable about the 6.0 issues. My tech's truck is just like mine f350 cclb and he has his cooler blocked too. If you are going to all that trouble replace the oil cooler while you are in there.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:25 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

Well I'll tell ya. I have to say that due to what you are trying to achieve with engine longevity and still maintain a warranty. I would do an upgraded egr cooler from either sinister diesel or bullet proof diesel and get a new valve to weld shut and stick in there. This way you have improved coolant flow channels that are less likely to ever clog and rupture and you keep the exhaust gases out of your intake.

Now since you are going to drop the $400 on a tuner you might as well start running around with a little extra performance if for nothing else than to get better mileage. An economy tune can be run with a stock exhaust as well as a tow tune and even a mild street tune. Regardless of the tune get it from a custom tuner so you can drive it and if you dont like it then they can tweak it for you.

If you are worried about EGTs with your exhaust but dont want to get a whole brand new one because your worried about losing the CAT and thus voiding your warranty, that is ok. I would say that you probably will be ok if you went with say a 4in turbo back exhaust and stuck in a 4in replacement CAT. Now it would be a little more expensive for the exhaust because you would be buying a new CAT but it would definitely help out and if it were me. I would just punch the CAT out and just have it there for appearance and I would think that no one would be the wiser for knowing its not actually there. Just my opinions here. Hope it helps and gives you some ideas. Best of luck to ya.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:33 AM
BACKYARDIGAN

He has an 07 so he will need a tuner to turn his EGR function off anyways to not throw a code.

I forgot to add in my last post. I recommend you get a monitoring device for your truck to monitor the health of your motor. It is so important that you do that before you do anything or at least concurrently. With these engines it is most vital to monitor EGTs, Engine oil temperature (EOT), Engine coolant temperature (ECT), and fuel pressure. The obvious reason for EGTs is so you dont melt your pistons. EOT and ECT is for comparison to see if you have a clogged oil cooler, and fuel pressure is to ensure you arent starving your injectors so they live long happy lives. I know a monitoring system can be expensive but it really is the best thing you can do for your truck. Better than any upgrades because it allows you to see how your change affected the motor. Hope this helps
Old 08-12-2011, 09:53 AM

well at the time that is my plan. I am going to get un upgraded cooler and go to the scrapyard/ebay/here and find a used egr valve and weld the plate up. I will have a new oil cooler installed as well. This will all be done under warranty so all I will have to buy is the actual cooler. I can just let my guy at the dealer install it instead of a ford unit. All the gaskets as well as the new ford oil cooler will be covered under the warranty. I just figured I may as well get the labor for free when Im putting in the better cooler. I will just keep my stock valve incase I need to reinstall it.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:48 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Absolutely and I agree completely. I am just saying that you really need to monitor your temps. This way you can see signs that will be leading up to a failure which you can avoid thus saving you head aches and money.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Hi redbandit,

How are you getting Ford to do this work under warranty? Did you actually have an issue with your stock cooler with 30K on it?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:35 PM

Run a bulletproof cooler and save the 300.00 dollars on a tuner.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:42 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2070 View Post
Run a bulletproof cooler and save the 300.00 dollars on a tuner.
He is going to run the bulletproof cooler as well as block exhaust flow to the intake by welding the EGR valve shut. He wants the bullet proof cooler for improved coolant flow with the larger channels but still doesnt want exhaust gases entering his intake until emissions testing time. Then if he has to he can swap out the welded EGR valve right quick and stick in the operating one and change back to the stock tune for the test. Sounds worse than it will be and it should only be once a year.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:24 PM

as to doing the warranty work, I am very slowly loosing coolant. I have not taken it in yet, but was told it was probably the cooler going bad. It has not grenaded yet, and I am still in the planning stages of what Im going to do. I acutally do not have any emissions testing so I will not have to swap it out at all. The reason I did not want to put a performance tune is indeed the warranty. I dont expect ford to warranty say a headgasket failure if Ive been running around with a 100+ hp tune driving the crap out of it. I would not, however, feel bad/see any wrong in doing just the egr delete. Im not after performance, Im after trying to get my engine in the best shape I can possibly whiles its still under warranty, to avoid having to fix it out of warranty. My tech has already told me if indeed the head gaskets do go, we will put studs in it. I was just worried that in the unlikely event Im on a trip or something and the dang thing blows up, the local dealer I take it to may deny my any kind of service if they see the delete. I can throw the working valve in the toolbox, swap it out if need be and put the tune back to stock. "Tune" being only the egr turned off and no hp added. I may be putting too much into it, but Im trying to weigh all my options before taking it in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.