Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New to the diesel world!!! Tuner Question

921 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  caissiel 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 6.0L powerstroke and I pull a 30 foot fifth wheel camper and a boat behind. I would really like to put a tuner on my pickup for towing but am concerned about the engine. I have 127,000 miles on it and perform maintence religiously. I am concerned about the factory head studs and head gaskets. Will putting a mild tuner on my pickup for towing hurt me in anyway? And please be honest :).

Thank you

#2 ·
The best way to go is SCT X3 with custom tunes (innovative diesel, gearhead or quicktricks are the "best") just let them know what you have, or have not done to your truck and they can custom tune the files for your truck.

Running a tuner you run the risk of having issues, but if your tuner is compensating for it then you won't see as many problems but the risk is there.

Do not, under any circumstances buy a piece of crap Banks or other "dial" tuner that's a one size fits all solution. They're complete crap and most don't do any modifications to the transmission files which is needed.

Regardless of which route you go, you NEED a gauge setup. Personally, I highly recommend the Edge Insight CTS. It's an amazing one piece gauge monitoring solution that will keep an eye on everything you need to.

#3 ·
Yep. Take it from someone who has been there and done that. Gauges MUST be first then whatever you want to do can come after. I also recommend the Edge Insight CTS because I had gauges at first and didnt like them because I was stuck monitoring whatever parameter the gauge connected to. WIth the CTS you can expand it to monitor EGTs, Any Pressure parameter, Any Temperature, and even a back up camera. I know it is expensive but it is really worth it compared to gauges. Nevertheless, when you do decide to go with a tuner go with a custom tuned SCT with tunes from gear head automotive, innovative diesel, or quick tricks auto. Hope this helps

#4 ·
:ditto::ditto:

#7 ·
I have been using ScangaugeII and Exhaust gauge for 4 years. Towing my 15K 5th wheel with the Hypertech program on level 2 for 3 years and now level 3 for one year.

The stock power was not very comfortable and the trailer felt realy heavy, but on level 2 the truck pulls like the trailer is much lighter with no temperature problems. I lately found the EGT gauge had a bad wire from the exhaust manifold so I replace the gauge with a fuel pressure gauge which I feel I need more, because I have a feeling the hypertech has never cause my engine to run in the danger zone while towing. Never saw any coolant heat levels or exhaust temperature levels to cause conserns.

Fuel mileage has been unbelievable for the weight towing, and I know I will never tow without the programer on level 2 or 3. A scangauge showing all the truck important readings also is a must, I find best fuel mileage is at low turbo pressure, and torque so the programing allows towing with both values low enough to be very effective.

In Addition I tow while on cruise and if there is a dangereous demand on power the cruise kicks off before loosing speed in the hills so I take it to the top while observing the gauges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.