6.0 upgrades - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 6.0 upgrades

Howdy,

I just purchased a 05 Excursion with the 6.0 and am new to this motor. I have been doing a lot of reading here and other forums trying to get up to speed so that I can get everything done that needs to be done. The truck is an 05 with 41,000 miles. The short block was replaced by Ford warranty at 20,000 miles. I bought the vehicle on line (E-Bay) flew out to California and drove it about 2,000 miles home. It seemed to run great and had no issues on the way home. I am wanting to make the engine reliable and long lasting, along with some extra power and mileage. I have an appointment to take it to River City Diesel on September 12th and get the following done; ARP headstuds, Black Onyx head gaskets, Change to Cat ELC coolant, Clean, Magnaflux and Resurface Heads, Complete EGR delete, New Oil Cooler, ITP fuel system, SCT X3 tuner with river city custom tunes, Magnaflow 4" Stainless Turbo back Exhaust, AFE cold air intake, 3 gauge a-pillar pod, Autometer Ultra-Lite II Boost Gauge, Pyrometer and Fuel Pressure Gauge.

I have tried to do my homework and cover the weakspots in the engine, if their is anything I should be considering that you guys do not see on my list, could you let me know? I will be posting this on a couple forums to try to get as many opinions as possible, Thanks for the help!
Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM
information regurgitator

Scratch the "black onyx" head gaskets off your list and go with FORD factory gaskets. The gaskets were never the issue, the head bolts are. The "BO" gaskets are also failing at a MUCH higher rate than the stock ones are. Cool name, so-so product.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dummy plugs and the standpipes in the oil rail should be replaced if not already and also stc fitting for the HPOP.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:43 PM
information regurgitator

Dummy plugs and standpipes would be addressed as part of the head gasket/stud job.
The STC fitting should DEFINITELY be replaced, BUT, he has an 05 Excursion. This would mean an 04 engine and the 04 does not have the STC fitting.

To the OP: check the sticker on the passenger side valve cover. If it is an 05 engine, put that STC fitting on your list! (I believe it will be an 04 engine, since the EX was used to "use up" the remaining engines from the previous year).
Old 08-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have heard this a couple of times so i checked my X. It's a january 05 with an 05 sticker on the motor.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Bypass filtration for the oil is always a good thing and a coolant filtration system. If you are going to spend that kind of money why not? These two things will defiantly increase the life of your motor. Also good synthetic oil and make sure your always getting good quality fuel. I like Chevron here in FL.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

They did say that they would do the STC fittings also. As far as the head gaskets, will change to the stock Ford head gaskets. I asked about the coolant filtration and they said not necessary since I would no longer have the EGR or EGR cooler and would be all flushed out as part of switch to ELC. I am still considering the bypass oil filter, but am actually already spending more than I had budgeted, so that may have to come down the road. Thanks for the suggestions! I have more planned down the road anyway, knowing me and my love for power, it may end up with injectors and a bigger turbo down the road, but for now I am just trying to get a good start.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As far as fuel, everything around me seems to be 20% bio. I will definetly run synthetic oil.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:30 PM

magnaflow is very expensive system. there are many other cheaper systems with out hte sacrifice of quality. mbrp, silverline, I have delete pipes for 20,000 miles with out issue for quality. Im very happy that I got the delete pipes.

no need for black onyx head gaskets, get oem head gaskets.
Dont get the itp fuel system, get the ford update fuel reg kit),
Old 08-08-2011, 08:58 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I'd go either MBRP or Diamond eye on the exhaust rather than magnaflow-great car exhaust, but IMO, both MBRP and Diamond eye are more bang for your buck. Stainless if at all possible. I'd also consider either an edge insight, scangauge, or a 3 gauge pod. IMO, the insight is the best option as it is expandable and offers more options.

Another thing, make sure to do the updated fuel pressure regulator (blue spring) while you're in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.