Oil Temp Versus Coolant Temp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 04:31 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Temp Versus Coolant Temp

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the difference between the 2 should be for normal driving, a couple People told me to keep a eye on it and I typically have between a 6 and 9 Degree difference I have been told that anything over 15 is a sure sign that the cooler is going bad. and just wondering if I am seeing the early signs of a oncoming failure or if I'm just being paranoid.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 AM
information regurgitator

Paranoid.
Chillax until you see 15F when travelling flat ground, with the truck up to temp, going 55MPH.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Premium Member

IMHO no worries. Thing you have to understand is that the deltas need to be checked level driving for a few miles at an engine rpm of about 2250 or so. Load variations will tend to increase EOT's a bit. Under 15 deg is good.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelap View Post
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the difference between the 2 should be for normal driving, a couple People told me to keep a eye on it and I typically have between a 6 and 9 Degree difference I have been told that anything over 15 is a sure sign that the cooler is going bad. and just wondering if I am seeing the early signs of a oncoming failure or if I'm just being paranoid.

Thanks
Those temps sound ok now... Glad to hear you have a true data monitor, what are you running for data monitoring?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:57 AM

I am running a Edge racing CTS, This weekend I am adding the EGT Probe Can someone recommend any other PIDS I should be watching on a consistent basis?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Premium Member

Fuel pressure(can be added to the CTS expansion cable) FICM voltage, Trans temp if towing. The ones on my CTS that are normally displayed: EGT, EOT, ECT, BOOST, Fuel Pressure. Then on the Scangauge2: FICM Voltage, Battery Voltage, IAT, ICP.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
Fuel pressure(can be added to the CTS expansion cable) FICM voltage, Trans temp if towing. The ones on my CTS that are normally displayed: EGT, EOT, ECT, BOOST, Fuel Pressure. Then on the Scangauge2: FICM Voltage, Battery Voltage, IAT, ICP.
How do you run the Scangauge and CTS at the same time? Does the Scangauge plug into the OBDII port also?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf12908 View Post
How do you run the Scangauge and CTS at the same time? Does the Scangauge plug into the OBDII port also?
Yea i dont think you can run the 2 at the same time.... The truck only has one OBD port. But on my CTS I have EGT, boost, oil temp, coolant temp, trans temp.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf12908 View Post
With a Cable, J1962M to 2-J1962F, Splitter Cable, 1ft

Amazon.com: Cable, J1962M to 2-J1962F, Splitter Cable, 1ft (145802): Automotive Amazon.com: Cable, J1962M to 2-J1962F, Splitter Cable, 1ft (145802): Automotive
Old 08-10-2011, 06:56 AM

The "proper" way to test your temp delta (per Ford) is to have the truck to "normal" operating temps (i.e. ECT over 190*) then drive the truck at 65 mph on flat level ground for 10 minutes.

After you've been driving (I just set my cruise) at 65 mph for 10 minutes on flat ground that is when you calculate your temp difference between ECT and EOT. These figures should be taken at the same time, not as a spread.

The difference between the ECT and EOT is what your looking for (i.e. called your "delta").

Any difference <10* is nothing to worry about.
10* - 15* ~ Start to get concerned as your oil and / or EGR coolers are clogging up and on their way out
>15* ~ You need to replace your oil and / or EGR cooler now (recommended to swap both at the same time and go to a bulletproof EGR cooler or EGR delete and to also do a proper coolant flush with restore and restore+ as well as switch to a Cat ELC)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.