58v FICM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
58v FICM

Looking at the 58v ficm from swamps or innovative. My stock ficm is starting to read a little low (46-47.5 briefly hits 48 every now and then) Just want to replace it before it takes a crap on me. Just looking for some input on this. Swamps is $825-$350 core=$475 Innovatives is $790-$170 core=$620. Swamps is $145 cheaper than innovatives. If I'm doing my math correctly. So right now Swamps is #1 choice. Has anyone experienced any problems running the 58v? What are the pros/cons of this unit. Thanks in advance for any input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Premium Member

Anything above 45 volts is still considered to be within specs. Hell, my 58 volt FICM from Swamps still registers 46-47 and RARELY hits 48 volts. What is the voltage upon startup when it's cold? If it's dipping into the 30's, then you might want to consider replacing it. Until then, save your money.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

Maybe your right. It reads 47-47.5 when first started in the morning. Of course lately its been in the 90's in the morning so I'll just have to wait till fall/winter to get a true cold reading. Unless I take it out and put it in the fridge overnight. Maybe I'll take your advise and wait and see. I've been having some drivability issues lately. But I think its just my injectors being picky. If I don't run fuel additive of some sort, my engine developes a rolling idle and has no low end power. If I juice it up with diesel kleen or stanadyne performance, it smoothes right out and runs like a champ. Thought maybe higher ficm voltage might help with this.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

When mine was going, it was registering sub 35 volts even when it was 75 degrees out upon first startup of the day. Do you have any white smoke that comes around randomly? I had a couple bad injectors and she would billow white smoke while idling. How are your fuel filters? Perhaps they need to be changed which is why you're getting the performance issues. Whatever the case, upgrading your FICM to the tune of $500 prolly isn't gonna resolve your problems man.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

No white smoke from what I can tell. Fuel filters get changed religiously. Fuel pressure is 65 psi and never drops below 60 at WOT. Its running good now. Think I'll just wait it out like you said. I'm obsessed with this truck to the point of insanity! Of course Its the only thing I have to spend my money on, so it gets treated pretty good. Thanks for the reality check and your input.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine starts at like 42.5 volts and within a minute its at 48v, from what ive heard, even if its cold, if it hits below 46v, it's bad.. ofcourse if it's in the 30s it's really bad.

Not tryin to jack the thread, just adding some info about what ive heard/subscribing lol
Old 07-23-2011, 03:57 PM

Hey,I live in Valpo also.. Who did you have do your egr delete and head studs? I may be doing a egr delete soon.. I have my trk back end jacked up right now so in the morning I will have a look under the valve and see whats up.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

^ Yours is most likely showing indications of being on its way out.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskforcefreddy View Post
^ Yours is most likely showing indications of being on its way out.
If youre talking to me, ya thats what I figured. I feel like I have like no power too. Although, I am just running off the downpipe right now
Old 07-23-2011, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkDiver View Post
Hey,I live in Valpo also.. Who did you have do your egr delete and head studs? I may be doing a egr delete soon.. I have my trk back end jacked up right now so in the morning I will have a look under the valve and see whats up.
Actually I did the EGR block off myself. The HG's and studs were done by Magiera Diesel Injection in Crown Point. They are the only ones I trust to work on my truck. They are a dealer for Bullet proof if you want to keep the cooler and just get the upgraded one. By the way, theres a G2G happening Aug. 7th in westville. Heres the link to the thread. NWI G2G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.