Any pointers for installing my EGT probe? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any pointers for installing my EGT probe?

Hey guys, I just got my EGT probe for my Livewire and hope to install tomorrow afternoon. If anyone has any pointers I would appreciate it. I plan on the typical drivers side rear of manifold location. The instructions say drill a 5/16 hole and tap with a 1/8npt. If theres anything I should be aware of so I don't screw this up, please let me know. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Start by marking the spot with a pen/marker you want to drill, then use a pointed punch and hammer to dimple the mark. Next use a center drill to start a shallow hole so when you move up to the next drill size, the drill bit won't walk on you. Now instead of going right to the 5/16" drill, use a 3/16" drill for the pilot hole, now use the 5/16" drill.

I don't understand why they are using a 5/16" (.3125") drill for the 1/8"NPT. The 1/8NPT usually requires a "R" (.339") drill.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Another thing to do is use a magnet to catch the shavings to prevent them from get into the manifold. I center punched the spot I wanted the probe then placed a magnet around the hole I was gonna drill. You really dont have to worry metal getting into the manifold until you penetrate it. But once you do its nice to know shavings arent flying off inside of it.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:34 AM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i drilled a pilot and then used size "R" drill bit, then tapped the hole. didnt use grease on the drill bit and didnt use a magnet and turned out perfect.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:59 AM

i started out small and worked my way up proable threw 3 or 4 bits to minimize the size of the shavings. once i got it taped and all i took the shop vac and some duck tape to make an air tight seal to try and remove all the shavings still in the manafold.

DONT USE GREASE ON THE BIT OR THE TAP if you do you wont be able to remove the shavings front he manifold they will just stick
Old 04-02-2011, 12:36 PM
information regurgitator

I drilled it once, with the correct sized bit. Just before the drillbit breaks through the manifold, have someone start the truck, the exhaust will blow out the drill shavings and it won't heat up that fast to burn you. Just use common sense and protect yourself.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Alright, It's in. Turned out great. I believe that was easier than the 6.4l banjo bolts (I didn't remove the radiator hose). I used just enough oil to lube the tap. Didn't have anyone to start the truck, but I did have a really good magnet that fit into the tapped hole and pulled all the metal (or at least I hope) out. Thanks for all the advice. Maybe this thread can help someone else too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.