FICM and ECM/TCM rollback - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
FICM and ECM/TCM rollback

I was told when I bought my 06 6.0 a couple months ago that it has the latest flash from ford wich from what I gather kills the power and mileage. I see where power hungry diesel offers FICM and ECM/TCM rollbacks. Is this worth doing? Has anyone had this done to there truck. I currently have a SCT tuner with innovative and gerahead tunes. Would these tunes still work correctly if I were to get the rollback flashes? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry, I do not have any valuable info. I am new to the 6.0 and I am interested in this as well. Just picked up an 05 that runs rough when cold and according to Ford needs an update... I am leary to give them the $125 just to loose MPG's. Is there a preferred flash?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 PM

I am like everyone here curious about all the hip about the reflash by Ford.

Last night while in conversation with a 6.4L Ford owner a flash came to my mind and I just had to put it in writing.

I would like to see what everyone feels about my theory because Ford still will not admit the falty Coolant for the 6.0L

Something to think about when Ford finds a way to reprogram the 6.0L.

1. Most important Reason, is to give more value to the 2011
2. When trading in the 2008/2010 resale value will be higher
3. The 6.4 Ford Diesel wil now be better then the 6.0L
4. To protect the EGR Cooler by feeding more cooling fuel
5. Will never admit the coolant problem program to solve the problem.

Now my reasons for each

1. Because Ford is selling the 2011 at a greater rate then the other 2 makers, there will be a lot of trade ins. The 2011 is much better then the 6.4L and they are now not interested in the 6.0L. The 6.0's are also more then 4 years old now.
2. Since they have already lost all the reputation on all the 6.0L, they have noting to loose by making the 6.0L a fuel guzzler like the 6.4 has been for 3 years. Now the 6.4L will have the same fuel efficiency as the 6.0L and therefore will be able to be resold from the dealers lots. With the reprogramming we are left out as efficient trucks as they were reputed for. Therefore we need to use a programer to increase the fuel mileage and we can beet the Ford at their game. I can get very good mileage with my present programer and recommend it to all my friends.
3. With the new fuel thirsty 6.0L, the 6.4L trucks now look very attractive to be bought as used diesels.
4. Its a well known fact that an excess of fuel will cool down any engine, be it gas or diesels. So Ford has noting to loose by enriching the fuel flow and therefore cooling down the exhaust when allowed to increased EGT. Cooler EGR will protect the cooler and the coolant that has been the reason for so many related failures.
5. Ford can not admit to the coolant problem because they fought with IH about warranty costs and the lack of proper training the technicians. Now we have solved or found the solution they have done a quiet modification to the programing that will possibly protect the Gold junk. They have really noting to loose by doing the flash because it really is to late for admission and they would loose big by admitting to the wrong choice of coolant.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Some valid points, except as far as I know usually more fuel=higher temps with diesel. I'm sure other factors are at play including boost and volume. But I am not an expert and I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I am like everyone here curious about all the hip about the reflash by Ford.

Last night while in conversation with a 6.4L Ford owner a flash came to my mind and I just had to put it in writing.

I would like to see what everyone feels about my theory because Ford still will not admit the falty Coolant for the 6.0L

Something to think about when Ford finds a way to reprogram the 6.0L.

1. Most important Reason, is to give more value to the 2011
2. When trading in the 2008/2010 resale value will be higher
3. The 6.4 Ford Diesel wil now be better then the 6.0L
4. To protect the EGR Cooler by feeding more cooling fuel
5. Will never admit the coolant problem program to solve the problem.

Now my reasons for each

1. Because Ford is selling the 2011 at a greater rate then the other 2 makers, there will be a lot of trade ins. The 2011 is much better then the 6.4L and they are now not interested in the 6.0L. The 6.0's are also more then 4 years old now.
2. Since they have already lost all the reputation on all the 6.0L, they have noting to loose by making the 6.0L a fuel guzzler like the 6.4 has been for 3 years. Now the 6.4L will have the same fuel efficiency as the 6.0L and therefore will be able to be resold from the dealers lots. With the reprogramming we are left out as efficient trucks as they were reputed for. Therefore we need to use a programer to increase the fuel mileage and we can beet the Ford at their game. I can get very good mileage with my present programer and recommend it to all my friends.
3. With the new fuel thirsty 6.0L, the 6.4L trucks now look very attractive to be bought as used diesels.
4. Its a well known fact that an excess of fuel will cool down any engine, be it gas or diesels. So Ford has noting to loose by enriching the fuel flow and therefore cooling down the exhaust when allowed to increased EGT. Cooler EGR will protect the cooler and the coolant that has been the reason for so many related failures.
5. Ford can not admit to the coolant problem because they fought with IH about warranty costs and the lack of proper training the technicians. Now we have solved or found the solution they have done a quiet modification to the programing that will possibly protect the Gold junk. They have really noting to loose by doing the flash because it really is to late for admission and they would loose big by admitting to the wrong choice of coolant.
1 - 6l are still underwarranty they will try to protect the engine to reduce repair costs. does not matter wether its a 6l, 6.4 or 6.7. if an update can achieve this it will be done. you need to learn the benifit of the cal update vs an aftermarket company trying to sell you a ford program.

2 - programming will not make them guzzle fuel. unlike aftermarket chip companies ford has to meet emmisions when they come out with a program. Do you see ford stock calibrations rolling coal? no. how do they get milage with a chip? increase timing, which increase nox, pops head gaskets, etc.

3 - people buy what they can afford, dealerships only want used vehilces that still have a warranty left. more 6.4's have warranty then 6l's due to age/milage.

4 -dumping more fuel on a diesel increased egts, not lower. if anything ford is cuting back fuel and tweaking timing to reduce coking. cycling turbo, stoping egr flow durring prolonged idle, etc.

5 - follow your maintenace by flushing coolant at recommended intervals and you will not have a problem. never flush and never monitor it and you will have problems. Do you drain your water seperator weekly? monthly? yearly? whats a water seperator? do you change your oil? ever flush your brake fluid? power steering fluid?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft2005 View Post
Sorry, I do not have any valuable info. I am new to the 6.0 and I am interested in this as well. Just picked up an 05 that runs rough when cold and according to Ford needs an update... I am leary to give them the $125 just to loose MPG's. Is there a preferred flash?
KEM also offers tuning for the FICM. I ran Mikes tunes on my spartan when I had my 6.4 and loved them. I mite do this to see if I can pick up a few extra MPG's.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb82 View Post
KEM also offers tuning for the FICM. I ran Mikes tunes on my spartan when I had my 6.4 and loved them. I mite do this to see if I can pick up a few extra MPG's.
Thanks for the input. Just one question, do you consider that switch (6.4 to 6.0) a down grade?

Last edited by camshaft2005; 04-02-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Haha. Yeah that would be a down grade. But sometimes you have to down grade debt and the wife said that the truck had to be the first thing to go. Sucks but at least I still have a powerstroke.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:50 AM

I still have my rims from my 6.4 so at least I have something to remember her by!!! Haha
Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Haha, I understand. I have been there and I am trying to take my time with this build... at least if it's slow she forgets how many parts I buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.