Slow start with SCT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 03:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slow start with SCT

Ive had my sct on my truck for maybe 3 months now and just had my first issue last week.

I noticed the truck taking longer to start...it used to start up after one or 2 revolutions now its more like 7-8. From reading I figured it may be the FICM but i havnt checked it myself yet. I planned on taking the truck to the dealer since it has about 2 more months on the warrenty so i uploaded the stock tune Friday morning. Well with the stock tune loaded the truck starts up normal..1-2 revolutions. So last night i decided to upload the street tune again just to see if it was still acting up...and it was.

Does this sound like the FICM or something going on with the tune?

Like i said i havnt had any issues up until last week. The truck is tuned and straight piped thats it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Due for an oil change? Running synthetic 5w40? Check the FICM. It's easy to do.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:56 AM

I am having the same issue. It takes a long time for the truck to start even when it it 85 degrees outside. I asked this question last night but have yet to see any replies.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Due for an oil change? Running synthetic 5w40? Check the FICM. It's easy to do.
My last oil change was about 2000 miles ago. Running sae 15 40 rotella and change it every 6k miles, fuel filter every 12k miles. I was thinking may it was the lift pump also so i stroked the key 3-4 times to make sure pressure was still built up and it still had the same issue.

Ill check the FICM first chance i get.

Last edited by 06DZL; 03-28-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnet69 View Post
I am having the same issue. It takes a long time for the truck to start even when it it 85 degrees outside. I asked this question last night but have yet to see any replies.
Yea i saw your post after i made mine. Have you tried to upload your stock tune and drive it a few days to see if the problem goes away?

Whos tunes are you running? Whats your strategy? Just wondering if ours are both the same...PM me if you would like.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 PM

No I have not, I do know that I did not start having problems until I used the progammer. I sent Matt at Gearhead an email asking if he had any ideas. I hope he has a trick up his sleave or it looks like I might be spending $600 on a Swamps FICM.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 AM

Finally got around to checking the FICM today...it stayed at 48.8 through KOEO test and cranking test.

Guess ill check fuel pressure next?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:22 AM

Can someone point me in the direction of the fuel pressure check thread...i know ive seen one but cant find it! Thanks
Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 AM

I'm running the same tune and experiencing the same thing, maybe not quite 7-8 revs but def longer than stock. Do a search you'll find the thread....I just bought all the parts for the fuel pressure guage, glowshift has a nice digital gauage with blue numbers for around $70, get the adapter from them too, its only 7 bucks. Use spring11 for coupon code for an additional 10% off
Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 PM

Checked fuel pressure today KOEO had 68lbs and at idle it didnt move. I purchased a regulator upgrade kit last week with intentions to install but after checking today it looks like it may already have one in it. I did also pick up the 6.4 banjos but havnt installed them yet.

Also load tested the batteries, both held 11.5. ICP was checked with scan tool and is above 500psi, although it doesnt show pressure until the truck has cranked-this could still be an issue.

I did notice today theres a little more oil on my dipstick possibly getting fuel in the oil, im thinking maybe theres a bad o-ring on an injector or maybe a dummy plug has gone bad causing the icp longer to build up pressure? Does this make sense? Is there an easy way to check or will i have to go ahead and pull the valve covers?

Again the truck runs great once started, no excess smoke, just hard to start.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.