Peformance talk - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BLKF250
Peformance talk

I see some guys wanting to hit 600hp, alright so a built tranny and the right combo of injectors and turbo with some good tuning will get you there...But what about if you go higher then that like running the twin turbo setup of 700+ hp, yeah i know you gotta pay to play....but i guess my point that iam trying to get across here is to run a save setup like twins like that what needs to be done to the truck? How much boost can a 6.0 head handle along with the valve train or any componets of the buttom end cam,rods,crank etc....I know the 6.0 blocks are pretty strong but factory how much power can they handle up too....these guys who run 10secs in a 1/4mile like do they have any work like that done( valve train,rods,cam etc)....iam just curious when you go on these fourms most the time its about tuners,turbo,injectors etc...you dont read to much about valve train,rods, pistons etc....i just thought it be interesting to get some info on these parts from those guys who know about them and how strong they are or what they can handle...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 AM

You dont really need to be upgrading engine parts until 700+ rods have been known to hold 800+ horsepower. If you just have a street compound set up say a 62 over 80 or something you wont "need valve train upgrades.

The guys who run 10sec 1/4 all have upgraded rods pistons and valve train.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06powerstroke06 View Post
The guys who run 10sec 1/4 all have upgraded rods pistons and valve train.
^^^WHS

It's high RPMs that kills the valve train. Not big horsepower. The catch is most big hp trucks are also spinning big RPMs.

The philosophy seems to be with most of the big HP guys is to keep the motor as stock as possible for it to live at the desired power level.

If you have the supporting mods to handle 600 hp, they will likely cover 700 hp. Give it more air and fuel and let it eat.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:46 PM

Shawn has recently said he wishes he would of kep more parts stock because they are more reliable.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06powerstroke06 View Post
Shawn has recently said he wishes he would of kep more parts stock because they are more reliable.
Yep. Shawn, Tyler, and Doug were the guys I had in mind when I mentioned that. They've been preaching this philosiphy for some time. Shawn and Tyler have tried everything under the sun for the 6.0 it seems. Doug knows just about every technical detail one could wish to have rattling around their noggin. I am definetely inclined to heed their advice.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Well thats interesting info to hear for sure.......iam getting ready to purchase an air dogg and some banjo bolts (6.4) and the new fuel regulator spring from ford....the only problem I have with the truck now maybe you guys might have an idea...but i havce 147k on it now and from a stop when i hammer it, its great when iam doing a 40mph roll and hammer it sometimes( every one in a while) you will hear the turbo spool but the motor wont rev up or anything its like the truck lost all power the speedo slowly increases slowly....but if i let off and nail it again its fine its like nothing wrong...iam not sure if the turbo is not generating right or properly any help would be awesome I have a scanner and everything and iam very mechanicly inclined also....thanks guys
Old 03-28-2011, 05:46 PM

What kind of egts are you seeing when it does it?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:53 PM

Double post sorry

Last edited by 06powerstroke06; 03-28-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 PM

haha....that funny how you say that 06powerstroke06....my autometer pryo gauge doesnt like to function how it should I havent had a chance to contact autometer to talk them about it...when i come to a complete stop it works goes up to 400 degrees as soon as i start going it goes up a lil then gets all jumpy and shuts off or goes to 0 if its working and i get on it it goes down to 0 i have no idea whats wrong made sure all connections are tight and clean ive had it for 2 years now its been doing this for a while now i have no idea so iam probably gonna contact autometer to see whats going on with that...but no sure as far as EGTS go but I was talking to my friend at ford and he said it can be the unicen ring in the turbo not sure though but IMO i think it has to do something with the turbo but the fact that the turbo does build boost threws me off
Old 03-28-2011, 08:43 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
for the record autometer has great customer service sent in two of my gauges for some issues and they sent me two brand new gauges (off topic I know)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.